Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Has anyone had luck potty-training their bird perfectly?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Has anyone had luck potty-training their bird perfectly?

Postby GeorgeMendes » Wed May 08, 2019 7:23 am

By this I mean training your bird to go to a certain potty area BY HIM/HERSELF and poo there without needing you or anyone else to help them. Basically, like how dogs and cats are potty-trained. I've read about owners training their birds to go on command like "go poop!" poop but haven't heard anything about them going on their own. Is there a reason, or is it just much harder to teach them? If you have managed to potty-train your bird perfectly, how did you do it? Thanks all!
Last edited by GeorgeMendes on Fri May 17, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeorgeMendes

Re: Has anyone had luck potty-training their bird perfectly?

Postby Michael » Wed May 08, 2019 7:33 am

It can work well but not perfectly.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1758
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 08, 2019 8:46 am

I strongly urge everybody not to even attempt to train a bird to hold its poop. It's so unhealthy for them... Dangerous even because it can cause cloacal prolapse which requires surgery and, sometimes, even reconstruction of the intestine. And, let's face it, if a little poop bothers you so much, you should most definitely NOT have a bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby pinknemo13 » Sun May 10, 2020 10:32 pm

My Sun Conure is potty trained and wiggles around when she needs to go. She is fully flighted but unless I give her a shove, she won't fly to her stand to poop. I usually just take her over to poop once and a while. She knows to at least try before I pick her up again. It is very very rare she poops on me or anything she shouldn't.
pinknemo13
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 11, 2020 8:13 am

I am sure you consider this a good thing and I hope you don't take what I am going to say the wrong way but I disagree 100%. It's terribly unhealthy for a bird to 'hold it'. I only hope your bird does not end up with cloacal prolapse or kidney issues from it...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General & Off Topic