Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Ever lost a parrot?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Ever lost a parrot?

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:57 pm

Have you ever lost a parrot, even if for just a few minutes? In your own home, outside, or other? How did you find it?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Ever lost a parrot?

Postby MandyG » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:25 am

My husband lost Mojo a few weeks ago! It was before he had started flying more so we weren't really expecting him to fly anywhere. He had him on his perch when I wasn't home, he was watching tv and not paying attention to Mojo, the next time he looked at the perch Mojo was gone! He'll quite often climb down the perch and be walking around on the floor so he started looking everywhwere in the living room for him and couldn't find him, and of course he started panicking thinking that he had lost my baby boy. He didn't think he'd be very far and couldn't find him anywhere on the floor or behind the furniture, finally he made it to the other end of the house and found Mojo in his cage happily eating his supper, seeming to be quite proud of himself.

My husband is very careful when Mojo's out and I'm not home now, and he now knows he can go pretty far in just a few seconds!

Note: my husband is severely hearing impaired and didn't hear Mojo fly out of the room, that's why he didn't realize he was gone.

Thankfully that's the only time he's ever gotten 'lost'!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Sallynoobasaur » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:53 am

I'm a smoker so I go outside to have a smoke and when I come back in (if Spike isn't running down the hall or climbing up the screen door) he could be anywhere.

His usual perch is the couch but when I leave he NEEDS to find me.
A few times I've found him on his inside cage on the floor or in the kitchen.
Other times he doesn't see where I go and I find him looking for me in the computer room.
Rarely I couldn't find him at all but if I call "Spike" he will answer with a peep, whistle or tutt tutt in which he would be in my housemates bathroom or room.

I find it really cute and heart warming that he would answer me to come and find him, and that he tries to find me in the first place. ALL.THE.TIME -_-
Sallynoobasaur
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby parrotsaver » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:44 am

Yes I lost my budgie Caki in March of this year and it was all my fault but after a couple of hours he came back .... but I lost him again during this summer and he never came back anymore . :( :budgie:
parrotsaver
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: parakeets-budgies

Postby theycallmeparrot » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:46 pm

I lost my blue-headed Pionus. He was barely a year old and just getting into his adult plumage. He had all 30-some primary and secondary flight feathers grown in and I took him with me outside to get the mail. I always pinned his feet between my thumb and finger and held him close to my chest. A bird flew by overhead and scared him, and he took off. I didn't immediately run after him because he went into the backyard and I thought he was going to land. But he just kept going. So then I panicked and chased him through my backyard, through the neighbor's backyard and across the street before I lost sight of him.

That was three years ago. Haven't seen head or tails of him since.

I'll never stop blaming myself because it is my fault and you can't convince me otherwise.

And it will never stop hurting.

One of the last pictures of him. I miss you, Ares.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been, and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo da Vinci
theycallmeparrot
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon cockatiel, Jenday conure
Flight: No

Return to General & Off Topic