Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

R I Preserve for birds and bird watchers

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

R I Preserve for birds and bird watchers

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 23, 2019 8:56 am

Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: R I Preserve for birds and bird watchers

Postby Navre » Fri May 24, 2019 4:47 pm

That’s even far from the rescue. Middletown is out on the island Newport is on. I have a friend in Jamestown, which is the island between the mainland and Newport. Maybe I’ll try to get there sometime this summer.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Fri May 24, 2019 4:48 pm

I was watching a mother black duck with all her little black ducklings diving in the water off my beach here. It’s hard to tell a black duck from a female mallard, but the ducklings are unmistakeable.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 25, 2019 8:09 am

And aren't ALL ducklings just the CUTEST thing ever?!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed May 29, 2019 9:14 am

I don’t get bird watching in anymore. It’s hard to leave the house, and I hate leaving the dog alone when I do. Bringing her with me makes it hard, although she did alert me to a brown creeper that I never would have seen without her.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 29, 2019 10:31 am

You still have a puppy in your hands but, as it gets older, it will calm down and stop reacting to them. Of course, this requires a couple of years or more and training so as to inure the dog to the stimulus but it can be done because my dogs no longer react to the birds even when they fly down to the floor and even when one of them ends up landing ON a dog (they are always under very close supervision but it's impossible to predict when a bird is going to take off or where it's going to decide to land so I teach them to 'freeze' whenever any of these things happen and they eventually learn to do it on their own).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to General & Off Topic