Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Which hot issue bothers you most?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Which issue bothers you most?

Clipping parrot wings
14%
Sale/purchase of unweened baby parrots
29%
First time owners buying advanced parrots
7%
All seed/poor diet
29%
Taking clipped parrots outside unrestrained
14%
Other
7%

Total votes : 14

Which hot issue bothers you most?

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:50 pm

We've had some exciting discussions about controversial issues in recent moths, so I'm curious which of these you are personally most concerned about. This is not necessarily for your own parrots but which of these issues bothers you the most when you come across it.

Some recently discussed issues include the clipping of parrot wings, selling/purchasing unweened babies, first time owners buying advanced/large parrots (ex African Grey), owners feeding poor diets, and taking clipped parrots outside unrestrained. Please vote which issue you find most troubling or are most interested in and then discuss why that issue is important to you.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Which hot issue bothers you most?

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:19 am

i chose taking parrots outside unrestrained because its a topic im very intrested in and have only really heard about it on this forum. i defiantly think this topic should be known more and people should know clipping a parrot is not going to stop your parrot from flying away. its not fool proof. i almost chose wing clipping. that is my second choice
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby bmsweb » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:55 am

Diet really the main one for me. I would hate to find out a few years down the track that Pellets are bad for my birds.
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby Kim S » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:20 am

I find it difficult to choose between a bad diet and selling an unweaned chick (to unexperienced people). Both are dangerous and some times lethal for the bird, the latter is a mental blow to the new owner as well.

I chose the unweaned chick since people who breed birds should know better!
The bad diet is bad education by the petstores and bad research of the owner. Still very ignorant and stupid but, people who are experienced enough with birds to decide to breed them should know better than selling unweaned chicks. There's just no excuse for that.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Natacha » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:58 am

Wasn't very hard for me to choose. The selling of unweaned chicks took the top spot.
So many things can go wrong if someone who has no experience does it and there is really no advantage of doing it yourself over having the breeder finish the weaning.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby miajag » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:20 am

I'd say wing clipping, as there is a ton of misinformation and appeals to emotion on both sides of the debate, and people who are very vocal on either side tend to be pretty annoying.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby skeetersunconure » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:32 am

really alot of them bother me like clipping the wings... skeeter was clipped when i got him and i feel so sorry for him sometimes! :( they still havent grown out yet i also diet because also for the time skeeter was still living with the people i bought him from they fed him all seed diets and they put a heap of nuts in the bowls and i found out that all seed diets are not good fir birds so i quickly swithched to pellets but everytime i go back to the store and i see the birds on there perches with nuts in the bowl and thier wings clipped i feel sad for them :( okay know i have alot but here is another one unweaned babies to some people its fine because they have experience to others though its asking for trouble and also the poor little birdies :( i think the birds should be ready to go.... the one i chose was poor diets because that is what seems to be the main issue with many bird owners who feed them all seeds and never take them out of the cage it seems to me we owe it to the parrot to give it a good diet because they never asked to become our pets
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Banksie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:05 am

Wing clipping! This is only my opinion and it's a sweeping generalisation, but it seems to me that many people who clip their animals' wings are simply being lazy...i.e. they can't be bothered to accommodate a bird's specific needs (why, oh why, buy a bird then?!) so it's *snip*.
Banksie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 16
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, 2x Budgerigars, 5x Zebra Finches, 4x Bengalese Finches, 2x Chinese Painted Quails, 2x Red-Eared Waxbills.

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:30 am

I voted wing clipping because it is the most widespread issue. While selling unweened babies or taking clipped parrots outside could be deadly or dangerous, they are less widespread. Meanwhile clipping is done on a massive scale. All of these clipped parrots are being forced to be terrestrial animals which they are not. I definitely think there is the greatest ignorance on the clipping front as well. Taking clipped parrots outside is just a subset of the ignorance that comes along with clipping. Things like selling/buying unweened babies isn't necessarily out of ignorance but out of over confidence or greed. However, the false sense that clipping solves problems is really disturbing. I would not want anyone to take my wings away, so there's no way I'd want to do that to a parrot either.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Rue » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:58 am

I voted 'other'.

I have an issue (with all pets) with breeding programs. Parrots are especially bad. If you get a parrot that has behavioural issues, often as not it ends up in a breeding program. We don't know why the parrot has issues (environmental vs. genetic)...but if it's genetic, we're just passing those genes down the line.

I wonder if so many greys pluck because we're breeding plucking greys?

Not to mention, breeders are more than happy to breed for colour mutations that they can charge a fortune for...I have yet to see a breeder deliberatley breeding for temperament. I would think that if we want parrots well-adjusted to life in captivity, we might want to select for those traits that would increase the odds of having a happy parrot.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Next

Return to General & Off Topic