Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Nat'l preserves now open for hunting

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Nat'l preserves now open for hunting

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:16 am

The Trump administration has opened up our National Preserves for hunting - a tragedy!

https://focusingonwildlife.com/news/tru ... e-refuges/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Nat'l preserves now open for hunting

Postby Navre » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:44 am

They have been for most of my life. If they were all closed, it was a fairly recent event.

from https://www.nps.gov/goga/planyourvisit/designations.htm

National preserves are areas having characteristics associated with national parks, but in which Congress has permitted continued public hunting, trapping, oil/gas exploration and extraction. Many existing national preserves, without sport hunting, would qualify for national park designation.

Maybe you're confusing therm with national parks.: National Park

These are generally large natural places having a wide variety of attributes, at times including significant historic assets. Hunting, mining and consumptive activities are not authorized.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Re: Nat'l preserves now open for hunting

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:56 am

I am neither a hunter nor have I any kind of close relationship with anybody who hunts (or, maybe I do but knowing how I feel about killing animals for sport, they simply refrain from mentioning it in my presence) so I really do not have any personal information on this. But the article says that, although there were always areas where hunting was allowed, the Trump administration is adding 1.4 million acres to the already designated areas. Don't 1.4 million extra acres seem a lot to you? It's more than half of Texas... Personally, I think that all National Wildlife Preserves should be completely out for hunters - I mean, these are places where animals should flourish as nature intended and not a breeding environment for people to come and just kill poor defenselss animals. It seems to me that people really do not need to have its government promote unnecessary cruelty... they have enough of it on their own.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General & Off Topic