Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How long did it take your bird to bond with you?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

How long did it take your bird to bond with you?

Postby JonnyJobin » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:23 am

I bought a 4 month old male pacific parrotlet one week ago from a breeder that hand-fed and handled him. She had kids that held the birds all the time, too, so he's pretty socialized.

However, he's still very wary of me. I can get him to step onto a chopstick easily, but he's not willing to go onto my hand unless currency converter I coax him with a treat. He is also very nippy, which is painful. I know screaming/yelling reinforces the biting, so I just squeeze my eyes shut and clench my teeth
Last edited by JonnyJobin on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyJobin
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: How long did it take your bird to bond with you?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:01 am

Hi, Jonny and plet, welcome to the forum. First of all, three days is NOTHING to a parrot. He does not know you from Adam and your asking him to do things for you (step up) is too intrusive for his taste at this early point in your relationshiop so the first thing you need to do is stop asking him for anything (I will explain what you need to do to gain his trust below).

One thing you need to know is that, unfortunately for them and the birds, a lot of people believe that a parrot is a parrot is a parrot and that they all eat, behave and react the same way but it's not true. Different species have different needs and completely different behaviors. Parrotlets are an aviary species and that means that although they can learn to trust and even love you, they will never bond deeply with a human (even when they are handfed, something that is actually pretty useless in the long run and allowing children to handle babies is a complete no-no so I am afraid that you got your bird from a breeder that doesn't know enough - which is never a good thing). Furthermore, they are never really happy living alone with a human - they are NOT companion parrots. Only companion parrots imprint to humans and bond deeply to them - deeply enough that, if the person provides constant company and good care, they can live a good life and achieve contentment in captivity.

Now, is the bird clipped? Because you say that he steps on a stick and that, although he can be coaxed onto your hand with a treat, he bites so I am thinking he must be clipped because, if he was flighted, he would fly away instead of biting you (because that is what parrot do as they are not naturally aggressive animals). Also, what is his diet and his daily routine? The answers are needed to give you a more precise plan to overcome his reluctance to be with you. But, for now, just spend time with him in the same room, talk. sing, whistle to him but do not ask him to step up or stare at him (only predators do that and he is not sure of you, yet).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General & Off Topic