Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Project for Awesome video: Parrot Partner

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Project for Awesome video: Parrot Partner

Postby Amywoloz » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:38 pm

Hello all, it's been a while!

So today and tomorrow is the Project for Awesome, which is a day when YouTubers make and post videos supporting their favourite charities. Money is raised over the course of 48 hours, and when the 48 hours is over, that money gets split between the charities that get the most votes on the P4A website https://jpy.mconvert.net/usd/3000.

Last year I made a video for the World Parrot Trust, and this year I decided to go a bit more local by supporting Parrot Partner's shelter and educational initiatives. You can find my video here, so please vote for it! :)
Amywoloz
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Love bird
Flight: Yes

Re: Project for Awesome video: Parrot Partner

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 01, 2020 9:20 am

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately for the animals, your partner is right. Animals are considered personal property under the law and nobody can do anything unless there is severe abuse. But then, you are right too. For one thing, you share a home so the decision of what comes into this home need to be taken by both partners for a very simple reason: what comes into the home affects EVERYBODY living in it. My husband is not a parrot person but he loves me a lot and indulges my love for birds so he does not mind my taking them in (I ALWAYS ask him if it's OK to bring in a new one and would not do it if he did not agree) BUT I take care of everything: cleaning, feeding, interacting, medicating, etc.

The other issue is the bird's wellbeing... Now, under the conditions that you described, the bird will have a terrible life. Parrots are highly social animals and need company 24/7/365 - being alone is, to put it in accurate and simple terms: torture to them. Furthermore, they need to be kept at a strict solar schedule with exposure to dawn and dusk and fed at twilight (research avian photoperiodism) so, if your partner works 12 hours shifts, there is no way on this green earth that she can do it. A human light schedule with isolation translates into a very unhealthy life for the bird because their endocrine system works based on the different length of the day during the different seasons and, as a 'broken' endocrine system means a depressed immune system, this added to chronic anxiety from being always alone... well, you do the math.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General & Off Topic