Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrots vs Crows who is Smarter?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Parrots vs Crows who is Smarter?

Postby banuvatt » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:23 pm

I think how similar parrots, and crows are is amazing. Both are highly social and intelligent animals. I joke that parrots are just more colorful versions of crows. New Caledonia crows have been known to make tools from the leaves of palm fronds to grab grubs in hard to reach places. Keas have also been to not only manipulate things with their beaks to get food but, also make tools. But, who is smarter?

Crows are known to be able to distinguish individual people from one another and can tell who is a friend or foe. They are even known to attack people who weren't so nice to them in the past. Parrots are the same way no?

Crows are known to mob predators so are cockatoos specifically the sulfur crested cockatoo. Sulfur crested cockatoos have been known to gang up on birds of preys. There are accounts of them dropping twigs on bat hawks in attempt to get them to leave.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't own any birds currently.
Flight: No

Re: Parrots vs Crows who is Smarter?

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:06 am

I don't think anybody knows -yet- which bird is smarter... But then, I don't think that we know -yet- much about animals intelligence. We are only now beginning to realize that they are not the automatons we thought they were.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General & Off Topic