Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pet insurance

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Pet insurance

Postby cstone01 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:31 am

I was wondering on peoples opinion on pet insurance, and if they have found companies that cover birds. My late cockatiel ended up with $3500 in bills at the vet and Am looking into the possibility of purchasing for hephaestion. Is an emergency fund a better way to go?
cstone01
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine
Flight: Yes

Re: Pet insurance

Postby cstone01 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:45 am

I’m doing some research and I found out that nationwide has a policy for birds, I’m going to call for the price. “ exotic pet insurance plan covers accidents and illnesses as well as examinations, lab fees, prescriptions, X-rays, hospitalization and more. We cover most birds and a wide range of exotic pets”
cstone01
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:22 am

When you have young animals, insurance is a GREAT idea!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby cstone01 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:44 am

So I called them and it’s only going to be about $30 a year! They have birds by category not by specific species so our Alexandrian is in the same category as a budgie. It is a 10% co-pay and a $50 deductible so I think it’s a very good purchase. $2000 maximum per incident, 7000 per year
cstone01
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:32 am

Sounds good! Does your avian vet accept this insurance?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby cstone01 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:01 pm

It’s a reimbursement service independent of the vet, I called our usual vet (this year we are in a different state but will return to ky) and they said it is usually approved... I’m not 100% sure how they do this if it is 30$ a year and his annual check up is 112 with only a 50$ copay on our part but we will try it out.
cstone01
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:56 am

Yeah... the math doesn't seem to 'add up', does i t?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to General & Off Topic