Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Stop chewing on wooden shelves

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Stop chewing on wooden shelves

Postby cstone01 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:29 am

We are moving to a new home with lots and lots of built in book shelves. I already know the boys are going to land up there and chew. In the past I have bought marble floor tiles at Home Depot and cut them to put them on top of windowsills and doorstops to stop chewing. Has anyone had success with a similar technique on bookshelves? Is there an easier way to do this? The house is absolutely filled with Builtins. I think the library room may be a no bird room but the great room is too central to bar them from it completely. There are at least 100 shelves if not more they will be exposed to.

I do have a fair bit of time Before we move in to be able to cut the tiles and apoxy them with the birds not in the house so they will not be around the fumes.

Additionally what are some ways to cut down on moving stress? We are moving out of the home we are currently in in one month, then we are staying at a friends home for another month and a half until we move into our new home and finish light renovations. They have no dogs or children and it is a large home, but I know moving the birds from place to place so much will be stressful. We are going to buy new cages and stands for them, when is the best time to give it to them? We could do it here before we move. At the friends house (it’s more of a vacation property they do not live there) or we could even wait a couple of months after we moved into the new home so it’s not too many changes at once. Thank you in advance. I think the whole family is stressed right now lol.
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell
Flight: Yes

Re: Stop chewing on wooden shelves

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:59 am

Hmmmm, well, yes, putting any kind of tile will work because they would not be able to chew them but this is not something I would choose to do. Granted that I don't have big chewers housed in the 'human areas' as they are all in the birdroom but I have had them in the past and the zons that live in my living and dining room do chew quite a lot during breeding season (but I give them lots of nice, thick cardboard boxes for this). What I did (and still do) is put wooden 'protectors' all around the edges (I do it to windows, corners, moldings, etc) and, when they get chewed up, I (well, my husband, actually) replaces them for new ones (he has gotten to be quite the expert on this :lol: ).

We use these and paint them with the same paint (non-toxic, zero VOS) we use for the window sills, moldings, etc. https://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Wo ... /206595804
but you can also get the plain wooden ones (without the primer) and stain them the same as the shelves so they would not look like a 'patch'. I am fuzzy about the way my house looks but I also do not want to deprive them of chewing because it's not only a natural and necessary activity for them, it also reduces stress so this takes care of looks and still allows them to chew. In the birdroom, we use metal ones (corner beads) on the baseboard, molding and edges because they have plenty of wood to chew (untreated pine boards and branches).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General & Off Topic