Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The worth of birds in your life

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

The worth of birds in your life

Postby cstone01 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:52 pm

I love little cheap birds. I had a $80 cocktail as a child until I graduated college that changed my life. I love my Craig’s list alexandrine. There are birds at rescues for a reasonable amount of money. We spent a lot of money on our major Mitchell. I have a girlfriend who was scandalized when she learned his price.

We have very similar lives, both married to doctors decorating new homes and went shopping together today. How in the world is a couch or a Persian rug worth anywhere near as much as Oleander? It just really really struck me how much more joy and learning and everything I will get out of my pink baby than she will her couch in the next 40 years. I wonder why some people don’t get that concept.

I really hope this doesn’t read wrong or come off snobby at all-I know it could. I don’t think the price of a bird affects their value or contribution to your family. I think most companion birds just have enormous value if you look at what they add to your daily life, more than you could ever pay. And he certainly adds 100x leather lounges of worth to me.
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell
Flight: Yes

Re: The worth of birds in your life

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:43 am

I absolutely agree with you that what parrots do for people is incalculable (look at the macaws and toos that are being used by veterans with PTSD!) but, on the other hand, I believe that commercializing a companion animal (a sentient being) is morally wrong.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby lilysmith9896 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:31 am

backroomsI also love them so much. How to make people do the same.
lilysmith9896
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby gloomybarrel » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:36 am

I completely concur that the value of parrots to humans is incalculable.
eggy car
gloomybarrel
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1

Return to General & Off Topic