Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Reasons Not to Buy Parrots

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Reasons Not to Buy Parrots

Postby bmsweb » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:57 pm

This is such a funny post because psychologically is pretty easy for people to put on their Black Hats and post all the negatives.

Our first bird purchase was an IMPULSE decision and it was for a CHILD, that most likely wouldn't look after it. That was about 4 years ago and it was the best decision ever :)

In all honesty you can list the negatives for anything in life and there will always be stupid people out there. I'm about to got to an Avian vet today because I want one of our little babies checked out. Its going to take time and money but hey I see nothing wrong with that at all.

I see no reason not to buy a parrot :thumbsup: . . . oh unless you're a stupid person . . then again if you are, you probably don't even know it LOL
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures
Flight: Yes

Postby Nathaniel » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:37 pm

I know that I don't have much exp. with parrots but as with any pet responsibility is a big part.
There is a reson we are called pet parents, if you can't treat your pets like a children then what are you doing. After all would you let a five year old raise a child? Would you sell your child because of a aditude problem? Would you leave your child in their room because they pitched a fit or yelled at you? I could go on, but if answered yes to any of these then don't get any kind of pet, much less a parrot that could live with you much longer than a child.
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Male Red-Bellied Parrot

Postby Azure Hanyo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:11 pm

Nathaniel wrote:Would you leave your child in their room because they pitched a fit or yelled at you? I could go on, but if answered yes to any of these then don't get any kind of pet, much less a parrot that could live with you much longer than a child.

Ummm...heck yeah I would and HAVE sent my kid to their room if she pitched a fit and/or yelled at me!!!!!!! A child needs to know the difference between the parent and the child. If I just let my daughter go on her merry way after yelling at me, she will not learn anything. A pet on the other hand will not understand why they are being "punished"; a human will. Better than a spank. Sorry, but that answer kind of rubbed me the wrong way. A child is psycologically very different than a parrot.

Just saying.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Nathaniel » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:16 pm

I ment forever... you know when a bird bites it's owner and is never taken out again.
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby Azure Hanyo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:32 pm

Nathaniel wrote:I ment forever... you know when a bird bites it's owner and is never taken out again.

...I meant forever too... :shock:

lmao just kidding! Thanks for the clarification. :lol:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Nathaniel » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:39 pm

sorry forthe misclarification :lol:
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:05 am

dont buy a bird because you feel sorry for it
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby lzver » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:37 am

Natacha wrote:Ironically enough, I always found female Red-bellies nice looking (although I have to admit by looking at pictures that the male's orange belly was more stricking) and it's not until I saw Pixel in the store that I really REALLY appreciated the beauty of the females. Pictures don't do them enough justice

I 100% agree with you Natacha. Males are beautiful with their orange bellies, but there is something delicate and beautiful about a female Red Belly. Parrots don't need bright vibrant colors to be beautiful.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby a.susz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:11 pm

i find it very interesting that the females are the closest parrot to being all one color. i love the vibrant green/blue on my red belly's rump, its my favorite color in the world. :D
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby Rue » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:21 pm

My favourite colour is my Pi's pink vent... :lol:

bmsweb wrote:...
Our first bird purchase was an IMPULSE decision and it was for a CHILD, that most likely wouldn't look after it. That was about 4 years ago and it was the best decision ever :) ...

I'm glad your impulse purchase worked out. Too bad, for the critters, most don't...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic