Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Of Mice and Parrots

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Of Mice and Parrots

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:39 pm

I have a suspicion that I may have a mice problem after hearing tapping in the walls and ceiling. I had once encountered a mouse on my stairway but took little caution from it. Now I am really worried and particularly for the parrot's safety.

I would prefer to call an exterminator to take care of things than dealing with traps and dead mouse bodies, etc. However, I'm worried that exterminators will use poison which could harm my parrot. Does anyone know about dealing with mice in a parrot/pet household?

The ceiling here is a drop ceiling with removable tiles which could make access for extermination quite easy. Do you think if poison were used above my ceiling, that it would still a threat to my parrot? Would the fumes of it traveling around or any other factors (perhaps bugs) possibly spread the poison to my parrot? Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

If it weren't for the parrot I'd have less reservations about just getting it taken care of.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Of Mice and Parrots

Postby triplebbirds » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:09 pm

ok prevention is key here. and unfortunatly its harder to prevent mice goodies when we have birds. Seeds and whatnot. I have heard of catnip, like the smell would scare them off. Are you in an apartment building or something like that? Those are harder to get rid of pests because you cant controll your neighbors. I will look and see what i can find. I have a couple books that deal with that kind of stuff at work and will be able to update tomorrow.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby windharper » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:42 pm

We have a mouse problem too. It's worse in winter because of the cold weather when the mice are more prone to come inside. We will find their poop and bird seed in some of the most unexpected places. Like you, I am concerned about getting someone in to handle this. So we have mousetraps set in the most likely places and have caught a few. I am contented to remain with this method of getting rid of them. Whatever you do, don't use poison because they will hide and die, then rot and stink, and you will end up with a huge fly problem.

Good luck!
Deb, a.k.a. windharper
windharper
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Cockatiel

Postby triplebbirds » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:05 pm

Have you thought of "renting" a cat? Kili would have to be caged for a bit of time but it might just do the trick.
triplebbirds
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:06 pm

Actually it turned out to be a rat. Somehow it died in my hallway ceiling so it's been stinking in there a few weeks. I've seen another one in my apartment since and set out a trap but also put sweeps on all the doors in the buildings. I also put up the electronic rat scaring ultrasonic devices. From what I understand is the rats hear an annoying high pitched sound but we do not. I don't think the bird should be bothered by it either. Can someone please confirm this?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby triplebbirds » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:30 am

I can confrim the ones from the sunbeam company dont work.
triplebbirds
Conure

Postby Kathleen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:39 pm

I don't think parrots can hear it based on what I've read. But, you can try calling the manufacturer.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby kimbo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:33 pm

if you have seen a rat inside your apartment then you have a hole somewhere. check the whole place out for droppings. if the exterminator is any good they will use poison and not gas. they usually put it inside cupboards so kili wouldnt be able to get at it. i used to have mice when i lived at my last address because i kept hamsters. rats like warmth. where there is one there are always more.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Postby Awesomepest » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:50 am

You should Pest control the specific place where mice are situated and take the parrot somewhere else. Pest control that area fully and avoid to go there at least few hours.
Awesomepest
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:00 am

Two words: Humane traps. They work like magic (you don't even have to use bait), they don't harm anybody or anything and they are super easy to use: put them down in the evening, check them in the morning, if there is a mouse in there (you can see through the little 'window' on top of the box), simply take it outside (preferably an area where there is grass, bushes, etc) and let it out of the box.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General & Off Topic