Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cleaning Up Your Bird's Mess

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Cleaning Up Your Bird's Mess

Postby Kathleen » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:16 am

What do you do to clean up the mess? Loose feathers, seed husks, wood chips, etc. How do you keep your bird areas clean?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: Cleaning Up Your Bird's Mess

Postby Natacha » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:26 pm

The cages are on plastic sheets; to protect my carpet.
Poo is also easy to remove from the plastic. Either wipe right away or spray them with a little water later and wipe.

Lots of vacuuming too.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:40 pm

How are the plastic mats working out? I've been using carpet colored rugs all over where the birds go to protect the real carpet without losing the carpet feel. For and good and for bad the rugs soak up poop and things that fall on it but on the other hand it keeps things down and I can wash the dirty spots and vac everything else. Obviously I will have to replace the rugs every few years but at least not the carpet!

Here's a video I made about vacuuming around my birds and how I conditioned them to not be scared of the small and big vac. I can practically vac dust out of their feathers! :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:50 pm

I like the plastic mats.

Ideally, I'd have them in a room with either laminate floors or tiles but that will not be happening any time soon. Sigh.
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:13 pm

Does that mean you have to mop and vacuum? I got rugs because I have carpet and I didn't want to have to have two different kinds of cleaning supplies. So with carpet and rugs I can just vacuum everything just about daily. Vacuum picks up bird food, seeds, etc much easier than a mop anyway but those poopies.... What do you do about freeflighted birds crapping on the carpet?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:24 pm

We (boyfriend and I) normally use a piece of toilet paper (I have a roll in the living room specially for the birds) to pick up fresh poo of the plastic mats. If we forget and they get dry, then we just spray it with water, wait a few minutes, then wipe with a piece of paper towel (get the poo and extra water).

We vacuum the carpet for any pieces of toy/food that might have been flung far away.

As for poo on the carper because of fully flighted birds, my birds don't tend to do their business mid-flight. They wait until they are perched somewhere. And most of these perches are either above cages/above plastic mats or have a large enough tray to catch any mess so it rarely makes it to the carpet.
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Postby iluvbirds25 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:30 pm

:eclectus: I use Poop Off wipes to clean everything. Then I use a 1:10 solution of chlorine bleach where it can be used safely, let it set for 10 minutes and wash everything down. I really like the poop off because it is non-toxic and I can clean the cages with the birds around. It has an enzyme that naturally breaks down the bird poop.
iluvbirds25
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: Ringneck Doves - Silky, Smoothe, Crested. American Parakeets

Postby MandyG » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:03 am

I use news paper under my bird's perch in the living room and newspaper in the bottom of his cage. When I vacuum I move his play stand, throw out the old newspaper and vacuum and put new paper down. It might not be as environmentally friendly as using a mat but we always have a lot of newspapers around so they work the best for us. For the stand itself and toys I use damp paper towels for quick clean-ups. He rarely goes to the bathroom anywhere besides his play perch and cage, but when he does I just use toilet paper to quickly wipe it up.

I vacuum a couple times a week because we usually have 2-4 dogs in the house, so adding a bird to the mix didn't really add to things!

Thankfully bird poop is very easy to clean up!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby triplebbirds » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:24 pm

Well the bird room (where the breeders are) has a linoleum flooring. So that gets swept, and dust mopped daily. Yes there are even specific cleaning tools for the birds. I highly suggest the mr clean dust mop. And then weekly i get to mop in there. Ok sometimes its a lot more than weekly. But it gets mopped. Gotta love the pirated swifter wet jet. Then there is the pet and baby birds. the pets are in the dining room for the winter then hopefully next spring we will build the sun room. But they are in the dining room now. So they get swept and dust mopped daily too. But they also get boxer mopped. One is always under a bird cage. When they were in the kitchen with fresh drywall they had a shower curtian behind them so that was an easy clean. Then bird stands/play gyms and that sorta stuff usually gets a soak in the tub or one of the wash buckets. For scrubbing the best thing ive found was the old toothbrushes. That has to be the ultimate perch cleaner. I am getting ready to try a new cleaner. Then there is disinctants. We have bleach, lysol, and nolvasan. But that is a whole nother post.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby iluvbirds25 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:27 pm

I too, got large pieces of clear plastic and placed it beneath my cages. Eventually, I took up the carpet and changed to soft tile. :budgie:
iluvbirds25
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: Ringneck Doves - Silky, Smoothe, Crested. American Parakeets

Return to General & Off Topic