Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

first time birdsitting

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: first time birdsitting

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:01 pm

You said it flew across the room. Is it not clipped? As much as I don't like clipping and think birds should be allowed to fly, I don't think an inexperienced owner or 7 year old can really deal with a flighted bird.

It may have been better to reach into the box and grab the bird rather than have it fly out and be scared while you chase it around trying to get it.

What kind of food did you leave in its cage for it? It may be a good idea to leave cockatiel seed mix, millet spray, and moistened cockatiel biscuits until it settles down. If it's a baby, definitely leave cockatiel biscuits and if it's a bit older, under the stressful changes it may still be good to leave those initially.

Be sure to keep us posted what happens. I'm sure everyone is curious how your niece reacts and then gets along with the bird. If everything works out, perhaps it will change our views about ownership so it will be interesting to see what happens. If you get any videos of the cockatiel or your niece with it, feel free to share. Just remember to tell your niece it's not like getting a toy for christmas. You can't play with it all day and overwhelm it at first and then get bored of it later on.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby triplebbirds » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:39 pm

Ok based on the color of his face its an adult. I am going to agree to clip him if he isnt. Some cockatiels can be pretty strong fliers. And when you control their out of cage movement they learn to appreciate that. Also go in a small room with the door shut with out his cage. Sit on the floor and just let him explore you. In most houses the bathroom is the only room about the right size. Or a larger closet. Bring a book it will get borning.

As for the snow. There is plenty in Ohio. We got so far it looks like about 4 inches. Maybe a bit more. And more is supposed to be coming.

Also since he is a bit skittish right now, Im nervous for the bird about how he will react to the present issue. I know my parents when they gave my sister a horse in stead of giving her the horse they gave her a card. It said a bunch of sappy stuff. Then at the end it said love trigger,(horses name) proud new owner of _______(sisters name).
That way she could freak out all she wanted and couldnt spook the horse.
Maybe something like that might be a good way to do it.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:46 pm

I'm sorry to break it to ya, but I don't think that horse was going to fit under the christmas tree any way you put it :mrgreen:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic