Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

first time birdsitting

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

first time birdsitting

Postby tacotaco » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:44 pm

as i discussed in another post once, my aunt and uncle did follow through and bought my little god daughter a male cockatiel for Christmas. Since they are pretty clueless having never owned a bird before I am trying to help them out as best I can. I'm picking up Jake (she named him although she doesn't know if SANTA is definitely bringing him) after work today. I bought a new cage and getting some toys and stuff tonight. I have a vet apt in the morning because I just don't want to chance getting my bird sick. I'm not going to put them together just yet til i know everythings cool and then I am kind of curious to see how they will react to each other :) On christmas eve I will bring him with me and theyre going to put him under the tree for her to wake up to. ive been making them lists of foods the bird can't eat and a bunch of other information because i know they aren't going to go out of their way. really wish they didn't buy it but since they already did i might as well guide them and be the responsibile one. wish me luck. :cockatiel:
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: first time birdsitting

Postby MandyG » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:53 pm

All you can do is try to guide them in the right direction. Hopefully they listen to you! Good luck! :thumbsup:
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:05 pm

Awesome. Sounds like a really cute present! I really hope it works out well.

Let me caution you NOT to let your bird in contact with this new one at all. Even if the vet gives an OK, check does not guarantee that it is not a carrier for some kind of bacteria. Normally a quarantine of 30 days is recommended (I suspect the reason is 30 days because the new bird will either get sick, die, or get better within this period so it will be obvious how things are within 30) and you don't have enough time for that.

I may just be too paranoid (had 2 birds die in first year on my watch) but I wash my hands between touching quarantined birds and don't let them on the same perches. This might be overly cautious but it is definitely safe. Allowing them to contact may or may not be safe. I'm not a vet but I try to err on the side of caution.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby triplebbirds » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:47 pm

Ok full quarentine sp? is drastic but sometimes needed. But i dont think [*]I [*]would do it in this case and most people dont have the ability to do it. But what i suggest is different rooms. Have a button up like a flannel shirt in the tiels room. Put that on when your dealing with him. take it off when your done. Play with your bird first, feed and water first all that. Then wash your hands and then deal with the tiel. Hand sanitizer is god. As fun as it sounds dont let the birds play. Not only is there the nasty bird germs but you never know how jelous a bird can be until another comes around. Pugzy about lost a beak because of my stupidity one day. At least they got something "easy" bird wise like a tiel.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby tacotaco » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:14 pm

thank you guys!! the new one is in the other room now! having so much issues with him. lol he is being a brat so i will leave him in there for a little n let him get used to the new cage and room. its a lot to take on for the new little guy.
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:17 pm

Just watch. You be careful that you don't get over bonded to the cockatiel and that it doesn't get over bonded to you. It is a gift after all. It would be a shame if it got to like you so much and your niece would have a hard act to follow.
Michael
Macaw

Postby tacotaco » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:57 am

update: grrrr! i don't know what to do.. he's in a seperate room, this morning i brought him down in the kitchen in a temporary cage around my parents and i, he groomed himself a little bit it was the most movement i've seen..he went to bed n woke up in the same spot, hasnt touched his food or water, has made me bleed three times - i mean i really have no choice but to leave it in there til hes less scared. i dont know how long it's going to take him to relax a little bit! :( i feel badly.

just not sure if this is normal behavior? when i brought my nanday home he was nothing like this, very calm and didnt bite or anything..i know they're completely different birds and from different places (both were hand raised) but is this normal behavior for the new tiel? really nervous for my uncle, aunt and cousin being it's their first bird - hoping that by christmas morning he gets more used to people.

Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Postby triplebbirds » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:28 pm

Ok first off where did he live before? Hes not a baby. So he has had a previous family. So there is that issue. Handfed means only so much. People sometimes think you can get a bird that is handfed and ignore it and it will stay nice and sweet. WRONG. also depending on what method of handfeeding makes a MAJOR difference. ie. some breeders will stuff a tube into the birds crop and pump food in the tube. Guess what that is still handfeeding. Weaning makes a difference too. But it could be his hormones making him crabby. Did the vet say he looked alright? Any noticeable health issues to speak of? Him not playing and dancing around is kinda concerning.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:17 pm

I wouldn't expect the bird to be all outgoing on the first day. Usually they get very shy at a change of circumstance. I had a cockatiel for a month that died but I noticed that it was very shy, not eating, and inactive for the first few days. Actually Kili was the same first few days and Duke too.

What did YOU do that made the bird bite you? Did you reach your hand in and grab it? Did you try petting it? Remember that this bird is not used to you and is probably just being defensive. Hand feeding, by the way, by no means guarantees a tame bird. It usually makes it easier to tame the bird because it is used to being around humans but it's no guarantee. If the hand feeding was in any way traumatic, it could make it even worse.

This is something I worried about though when you told me you wanted to recommend a bird for your niece. You really can't know how the bird is till you get it home. She is too young to just suck it up, get through the biting, and work with the bird to get used to her. If she gets bitten, she will get really disappointed and could get discouraged from trying. I know everyone would wish their bird would be happy to see them and nice "out of the box" but birds really aren't like that. That's why they don't make good presents. They need a calm/relaxed environment so that they can get used to things and develop trust.
Michael
Macaw

Postby tacotaco » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:50 pm

yeah, i mean as soon as i opened the box they had put him in he flew out across the room. obviously no one wants to be stuck into a dark box for a 30 minute drive home..so that was understood. its just been 24 hours now and he hasnt touched his food or water once - that is scary :( i keep sayin in a few days hopefully he will lighten up. we keep talking to him and leaving him around the family - i'm also keeping charlie away from him.

and by the way..where is all this snow?! we have barely anything out here!! maybe by morning
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Next

Return to General & Off Topic