Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Traveling Birds

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Traveling Birds

Postby MissLady9902 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:06 am

I work mindnings (10:45 pm 'till 7am) at Boone county/Columbia PD in Missouri as an emergency dispatcher. We handle all the emergency and non-emergency phone calles for the county. We also dispatch for five seperate police agencies, two fire districts and two ambulance services. It's not a nice or fun job. There is zero appreciation, arguing between shifts and people, massive amounts of gossip, stressful calls and way too many hours of overtime. Most of the workers have a very warped and jaded sense of humor but you have to because if you don't laugh or mock you end up crying. Also, a lot of us have depression or anxiety issues.

Tonight I got called in early to work a 12 hour shift (6pm-7am)
Staurdays are usually a busier time but because of the recent snow (less than a quarter inch. Lame, I know) tonight was quieter.
My husband Scott brought Noolde :senegal: to visit at around 9pm. Noodle stayed and worked the rest of the shift with me. ('till 7am)
Most of the time Noodle was on my shoulder, knees or on top of her cage. Normally Noodle is slightly snarky towards other people. Tonight she behaved EXTREMELY well!
She let officers, troopers and co-workers hold and even pet her!
She was so sweet and didn't bite anyone! She even "helped" dispatch a police call! (she beeped a couple times while I was broadcasting a call)

Everyone enjoyed having her there with us and loved it when she climbs the wall. (our walls are carped for sound reasons I guess.)
She loves climbing the wall, she gets to the top and beeps and makes happy Senegal noises.
We don't have high ceilings and I'm tall enough to get her down without using a chair or step stool.

I think her presence there made everyone feel better, less stressed and less anxious.

It was a great night!

Are any of you allowed to take your bird to work with you?
If you could would you?
What would the reason be that you wouldn't take your bird to work with you?
Does anyone take their birds on outings?

What are your thoughts about workplace stress? Do you think having a pet there (of any sort) would lessen or cause stress?

If you have taken your bird anywhere and something interesting or fun happened let us know your story!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Re: Traveling Birds

Postby triplebbirds » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:45 am

Ok i have smuggled birds to work with me. I work for the post office. I am the only one in this building but we rent it from the town council. Yeah its a small town. We are in the planning stage of moving to a new building or putting up a new building for this purpose. Then there will be birds in there with me. I usually get home and grab one of the birds. So having them there on a stressful day would definatly be a blessing.

Oh and ive been through Columbia. I am sure you are a busy lady at work.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby tacotaco » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:12 am

that is really great that noodle lightened up the mood at your stressful job!

Are any of you allowed to take your bird to work with you?

personally yes, i work for my dad (am training to take over the business soon) so it is a little different for me. i kind of do what i want (hehe) and Charlie does come with me from time to time.

What would the reason be that you wouldn't take your bird to work with you?

some reasons for not taking him to work: it is an office and my bird does seem to cause a distraction, unfortunately. not his behavior (he is very quiet, very well behaved, lets people pet him as well) - but all my co-workers come over often and talk to him or stop what their doing to come over and see him. as a boss, i would be angered if the distraction of the animal being there disrupted people's work because they are getting paid to work.. not to talk and play with the bird. really depends on the job and you/your co-workers work ethic! i do love having him there with me!! :)

Does anyone take their birds on outings?

weather permitting, i always take Charlie out with me. whether it's to the grocery store, 7-11, birthday party, holidays, and most of all to the beach (the backyard!) he loves walking on the sand. i live in a VERY small town - everyone is so nice and laid back, they don't care if you walk into the deli with a bird to pick up a sandwich. i do have mine clipped but depending where we go i do have a leash for him.

What are your thoughts about workplace stress? Do you think having a pet there (of any sort) would lessen or cause stress?

i definitely think they lighten stressful work places in a great way, as long as people can do the work they have to and be serious when they have to. also, as long as the pet itself isn't being stressed out with all the people and/or attention it is receiving.

thanks! good topic!
-kim
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby triplebbirds » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:01 pm

Just a word of caution, there are many lost birds because they went outside and were cliped but got enough flight to escape. So please be careful with taking them outside with out a cage/carrier/flightsuit.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:04 pm

A good reason not to bring your bird places is if they fly and if it may stress the bird. I do bring my parrot on outings but I am careful not to get overwhelmed. Between one and three people at a time is ok. More than that can get hectic. I don't like having so many people around that I can't pay attention to my bird or that the people might handle my bird without my attention.

I once had 13 people over my apartment at once and I put Kili (who then didn't fly) on her climbing tree so she could watch. I ended up getting really frustrated cause I was supposed to be host and run around and serve people but meanwhile people would be handling my bird without me there. I don't even trust to leave my bird in a cage/carrier around other people cause some people start poking, others mess around, who knows. So for bringing to work. I'd be worried that someone might let her out of carrier while I'm gone (like to bathroom or something), poke fingers, move the carrier, knock carrier over, etc, etc. Basically my point is that I totally trust the bird but would be more cautious about other people!

Another issue is that the bird poops. On outings where I can pay attention to my bird it's no problem and in worst case scenario I just clean up after her a little. However, if you have to be working, you could get busy and forget to put bird in carrier or over paper to poop and get a mess where you don't want it.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make from all this is that outings are great but they should be for your bird and not for you. Only do outings where you can pay attention to your bird or control the environment. So if you have your own room at work and let your parrot roam, fine. But if you are in a public space with other people, you have to be careful of what they might do. However, if you have to work you can't control them or bird so it's risky. So my opinion is that if you are taking a bird on an outing, you should be in the position to give it your full attention or be in a safe place where it can get by safely without it.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MissLady9902 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:10 pm

The great thing about my workplace is I'm litterly in the room for 12 hours except for bathroom breaks. Also, my co-workers have a healthy respect for Noodle and don't bother her if i'm gone. Plus when I leave the room I cover her cage otherwise she'd make too much noise.
Also, the people that come and go are only cops and a couple are vaguely interested but most have their "cop blinders" as I call them and don't even see her.

It would be a whole different situation if there were customers or a large number of people.
They're are only 5 people working on a shift so I don't feel overwhelmed.
She is still clipped but has two primaries now.
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Return to General & Off Topic