Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Foot Biting Lovebird

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Foot Biting Lovebird

Postby Faux » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:53 pm

I bought a lovebird 3 days ago. I have spent lots of time with it and followed what I have read in books and online about new lovebirds. it is a hand fed bird. Late in the day yesterday it started biting its toes. Today it bit one of its toes to the point that its bled all over the perch and cage. I was gone for 2 hours while this happened. It wont let me get near it and attacks my hand if i put it in the cage. Any idea what may be wrong with it? I told the pet shop which specializes in birds that I was a first time bird owner and this is the bird they gave me.
Faux
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird
Flight: No

Re: Foot Biting Lovebird

Postby triplebbirds » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:09 pm

Ok first off consider taking him to the vet. There could be something wrong. But in the meantime check its toys. is it possible that it had hurt its foot on a toy or something else in the cage?
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby Faux » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:22 pm

No it hasnt even touched the couple hanging toys i have in the cage yet. And its still biting its nails as i post this. The bleeding stopped a long time ago though. I havent even gotten to touch it yet and it shies away from me when my hands come near the cage. Its been 3 days now. I need some help lol. I just dont know what to do.
Faux
Parrotlet

Postby Kathleen » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:02 pm

There are a few possible sources of this problem.

It's very likely that your lovebird is experiencing mites. The same reason that you may feel the need to scratch your skin if it feels itchy or irritated, your parrot may be responding to irritation it feels from mites. (Source: http://www.petpublishing.com/birdtimes/ ... foot.shtml)

Your lovebird may also have some kind of internal infection which causes the feet to become irritated. If the lovebird is having an allergic reaction on its feet to something, it may be trying to scratch off the skin of its feet by biting it. (Source: http://www.parrotsite.com/feather-picking.html)

Your bird is new so it most likely got the pests/mites or infection in the store, but it doesn't completely rule out that a change in environment may have incited the behavior. If you signed an agreement with the store, breeder etc. for a health guarantee for a time period, you may still be eligible for a return, exchange or compensation for treatment. Contact where you got the lovebird from and contact a vet.

Since you are having trouble getting your parrot, use a towel if you need to. After you have resolved this situation, be sure to work on hand taming so that your lovebird will be comfortable with you if it is suffering ever again and you need to handle it. Obviously you haven't had enough time with it and this could be a bad start, but I think it can be worked out.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby triplebbirds » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:14 pm

Also the mite sprays that are available at the stores usually do no good. You had mentioned that you purchased the bird from a petstore. Unfortunatly that also kinda points towards mites as they spread quickly and most pet stores dont have the ability to quarentine and/or vet check. Also this would be a good time to mention having syptic powder, cornstarch or flour in case of more bleeding.
triplebbirds
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby Faux » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:24 pm

It seems like its just biting its nails and doing so it caught some flesh on 1 toe. Is this still mites? Can I buy something for them or do I have to take him to a vet for that?
Faux
Parrotlet

Postby MissLady9902 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:07 am

You should still take him to the vet. You can never be sure. If it is mites they can give you medicine, if not it's good to have a well bird check after buying a bird anyway.
I take Marvin and Noodle once a year for a checkup.
Be sure to get a good bird certified vet.
You can look online to see if there are any in your area.
My birds do chew on their nails also, kind of like grooming and I've never had them bite themselves and make themselves bleed.
It definitly needs to be looked at.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey

Postby triplebbirds » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:28 am

Is it still going on? How are things this morning. Also you never mentioned what kind of guarentee the store had? If this bird isnt working out at for you dont be shy about taking him back.
triplebbirds
Conure

Postby drgangsta809n » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:49 pm

The reason why the bird hurts itself is because this bird had some abuse in the past and the reason why it attacks u is because lovebirds just like quakers and parakeets are very territorial and there is basically nothing yu can do about that, trust me there is nothing wrong about it I have a creamino lovebird and its just like that, he bites when in the cage but is nice outside of it when is force him to get out, however there is something yu can do about the self mutilation you have to go to a vet.
drgangsta809n
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: DominicanAmazonVentralis, Lovebird, parakeet

Postby miajag » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:21 am

Why would you say it's been abused? There are many reasons why birds might self-mutilate, only one of which is stress from past abuse.
miajag
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Next

Return to General & Off Topic