Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Book: Mind of the Raven

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Book: Mind of the Raven

Postby Munchy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:08 pm

I just finished reading the book "Mind of the Raven" by Bernd Heinrich in my efforts to understand how much intelligence my conure, Disney, has. The conclusion was two fold one: that ravens do feel love, as they need to have an internal reward to carry on a long term relation ship, and ravens mate for life. Two: that ravens do have consciousness as they can imagine a new way to solve problems that they cannot have possibly learned through evolution or memory, like pulling up a string to get the food at the end of it. They would have to imagine the end reward as they get no reward for each step leading up to it.
I didn't get what I was looking for with this book as I already know Disney has consciousness, and I already know he feels love. I feel the love coming from him, like the man in the documentary "The Parrots of Telegraph Hill" felt the emotions in "his" conures.
And while I disagree with some of the things he did, it was still a good book.
If anyone is looking for a good read.
Munchy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Half Moon Conure
Flight: Yes

Return to General & Off Topic