Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Misinformed or Uncaring owners?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Misinformed or Uncaring owners?

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:04 pm

As per our discussions about idiotic parrot owners doing things like feeding their parrot out of their mouth, putting their parrot in harms way, etc it makes me wonder if these people are merely misinformed or if they simply do not care. If they just don't know any better the least we can do is discuss these issues hoping that people will find out before they do something like that. However, if people just don't care, I really don't know what we can do. It really saddens me the way people treat these beautiful, intelligent, loyal creatures.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Misinformed or Uncaring owners?

Postby miajag » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:35 pm

I'm sure there are people in both categories. Some people view parrots as "just birds" to be kept in cages all the time and essentially treated the same as a goldfish or hermit crab (not that those creatures should be treated poorly, but they tend to be viewed as easy, throwaway pets). In reading other forums and parrot websites, I come across myriad stories of even experienced parrot owners losing their birds in absolutely idiotic and inexcusable ways, like opening a door when a flighted parrot is loose in the house, having birds and other animals like cats or ferrets loose in the same room, or letting parrots loose around rambunctious young children. I'm still pretty new to parrot ownership and definitely have a lot to learn, but stuff like this is just so mind-boggling to me. I'm sure most if not all of these people do care about their birds, they're just quite careless in their treatment of them.

I could rant on the subject of people who have parrots but can't afford to provide them with veterinary and other care for ages, but I'd like to keep my blood pressure down for the time being.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby Kathleen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:05 am

I hope people who are interested in getting a parrot can find our forum, read our discussions and affirm for themselves that they should or shouldn't get a parrot. Hopefully our discussions reveal the good and the bad and people can make a more informed decision. A store probably isn't going to tell you that you shouldn't get a bird because they have to pay their rent and they need the money from a sale to do it. A breeder may or may not be the same way.

Many people think budgies are cheap, stupid, throw away pets too and I wanted to show with my videos with Duke that they're enjoyable and intelligent pets. It made me so happy with the comments the youtube videos got that people were inspired. People wanted to try the tricks with their own budgies.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby windharper » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:40 pm

Information is out there, ~if~ someone actually wants to find it. I suspect that a good number of these people just don't take the time to study up on their bird. Just like my husband thinking he can treat our birds like dogs. It doesn't work; but, that is his only reference point.

Then there is the potentially lethal stuff, like cooking on Teflon. People seem to think that since it doesn't harm humans, it can't harm birds. I recently came across this on our local Craigslist:

"Here is the situation i had an african grey red tail a few years ago one day he fell off perch and had cesars He was given vitamins on a daily basis for changes daily including water changes treats the whole nine. He was acting normal talking playing all week including the day before and then was talking and playing up till he fell an had ceasures and died. He was not swinging of climbing was on his perch and just fell and died anyone know why this happens? This happened today with my cousins bird he was acting the same way it was an conure and fell off perch and died this morning. I now have an african grey my mom got me as a gift and i am concerned because his beek is overgrowing he was trimed 5 months ago now need anothers the doctor said there beeks shouldnt grow this fast anyone have suggestions as too what the promblem was and is. Contact rachel9483@"(deleted on purpose)

Then she goes on to say:

"I am also asking anyone that has an unwanted bird please let me know my cousin is distraught over this and i would like to suprise her with another bird i dont have alot of money if any to purchase but if you are cheap or just want to brighten her day by donating i would be greatful thanks. let me know "

So the cycle of stupidity continues. I did post her to suggest she talk to her avian vet and that it is likely there is something in the birds' environment that the parrots are exposed to that is killing them. Never heard back from her. Judging from her post, reading and writing are likely not her strong points.

I'd think that if I had a bird who had seizures, I'd be awfully careful with any and every possible environmental thing I could control...in this case perhaps the toxic toys.
windharper
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Cockatiel

Return to General & Off Topic