Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help with parrotlets! ;_;

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Help with parrotlets! ;_;

Postby forpus » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:43 am

Hi! I hope someone can help me

I am bit neewbe with parrotlets, I have a couple that its their first time breeding, everything went fine and I have 4 lovely babyes, now they are one month, the problems becomes when the small boy want to go outside, the father dont like him at all, and he is chasing him, its like he wants to be just with one of his sister, cleaning and puting the head for be cleaned by her...with the mother have small fights also but not like dangerous.

Whant I can do? if I split the little boy to another cage he will be able to eat on his own?

Best regards from Norway and txs
forpus
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Help with parrotlets! ;_;

Postby Kathleen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:54 am

Do you know how to hand feed baby parrotlets?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby forpus » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:07 am

No, thats becosue I try to not need to feed them by hand I am at home watching all the time the birds
I will apreciate whatever information of what to do when they are over 30 days just in case the boy wnats kill the son
forpus
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Kathleen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:19 am

I've read in a few different places that it takes 6-8 weeks to wean a baby parrotlet off of handfeeding. In which case, it's probably not a good idea to separate one of the baby parrotlets if you wouldn't know how to handfeed it yourself because it might starve to death.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby Kathleen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:01 pm

What I think you should do is take the father out and allow the mother parrotlet to keep feeding the babies.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby triplebbirds » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:03 pm

If they are a month old the father needs to be taken out. And he wont be happy about it either. The males are usually agressive to the other males. At this point he probably wouldnt take to well to handfeeding if you were to try it. He is still too young to be on his own. Mine were hatched on thanksgiving time frame and they are still being handfed 2 times a day, and i expect to be feeding them for at least 2 more weeks. But when you pull the father be prepared to offer lots of soft foods for mom to eat. Make her job as easy as possible.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Return to General & Off Topic