Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Why did you choose a bird as a pet?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Why did you choose a bird as a pet?

Postby Michael » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Why? How did you know it was right for you? Why compared to others? What factors drove your decision?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Why did you choose a bird as a pet?

Postby pchela » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:54 pm

My daughter wanted a budgie so I started researching parrots and realized while they were not a suitable pet for my daughter (too much work and we all know preteens don't really take care of things) they sounded perfect for me. The main things that drew me to them were their intelligence and their long life spans. I have some issues with death and have never allowed myself to become too attached to an animal I know will die within 10 years or so. With my parrots, chances are they'll spend most of my life with me. I like that. I also love that they don't smell bad (in fact, they smell really good), they don't shed and they are just so much smarter than a dog or cat. They are also extremely amusing and very interactive. I could go on, but I've listed the main draws for me.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby checkitjess » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

i have love birds :cockatiel: i have them since i was a kid..i find then cute... :hatched: ...i love touching them and talking to them...if others love dogs and cats for me birds are mans trusted friends...hehehe :thumbsup:
checkitjess
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: love birds

Postby kimbo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:02 pm

i wanted something different from a cat or dog so started looking into birds. always liked parrots so read up on them, decided to get a senegal for my first one and along came chico.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Postby bmsweb » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:48 pm

I was at a friends house fixing their PC and their pet budgie flew into the room and landed on the keyboard. We were all blown away. Their bird was so friendly.

A week later we went out and purchased a Baby Budgie which we had for a number of years and died six months ago. We purchased another budgie a while ago and now added a cockatiel to the family. I think that a bird that will fly to you and want to spend time with you is just so cool. Then they also have such different and strong personalities. Its just awesome.

Its also worth noting that they are a lot less maintenance than other pets!
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:51 pm

bmsweb wrote:Its also worth noting that they are a lot less maintenance than other pets!

I'm not so sure about that one!
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby bmsweb » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:03 pm

When I say less maintenance I mean if we go away I can take their cages and leave them with family for a few days. I don't have to take them for a walk but I get to spend time with them at home, so the weather is never an issue etc. Yes you have to clean cages and spend time with them etc but that's all the good stuff ;)

We spent all day yesterday shopping for a cage and buying toys and treats for our birds . . see all is good :)
bmsweb
Amazon

Postby Kathleen » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:21 pm

With dogs, you need to let them outside several times a day. You can't go away for a weekend and leave dogs on their own. With a bird, you could go away for a partial or maybe a weekend as long as it's used to being alone sometimes cause it's self contained in the cage (with a supply of food and water obviously).
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby bmsweb » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:29 pm

Last year when we went interstate for a Taekwondo Competition, I had my sister come over and top up food and play with our budgie. The best part was I had my Laptop setup with webcam so we could talk to our Budgie and see her and interact with her while we were away!!!
bmsweb
Amazon

Postby Suzzique » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:15 pm

We started with a bright yellow keet (named Tweety) for our oldest daughter. I don't remember why we let her talk us into it. We had it about a year when we got home from work/school one day to find it on the bottom of it's cage. We were going to be moving in a few months so we waited until we got to CA before getting another bird. After we got here we got a baby tiel. She was so cute we had her for about 6 years before she had a bad accedent and passed away. We still had our tiel when a friend of our youngest daughters didn't want thier bird any more. It had it's wings clipped and she was just going to put it outside. :p We took Bella in she was a maximillion pionus. Se was beutiful and sweet. Unfortunitly she got a respitory infection that we didn't catch until it was to late. We got Alex about 6 months after Bella passed away. He is now 2 1/2. We took Martini in as a rehome about a 1 1/2 years ago. I love our birds and will happily talk to anyone about them and how much we enjoy having them. But I always make sure to let people know the down sides to owning a bird. Birds just are not for everyone. Yes they can be left for a day or so unlike a dog. But they really are a LOT more work than cats or dogs are.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Next

Return to General & Off Topic