Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Why did you choose a bird as a pet?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Why did you choose a bird as a pet?

Postby kendricktamis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:12 am

when i was kind my father brought two birds for me. And still i love them. My dad choosed birds because we haven't spent more money for birds as well as they do bad things at home and require small space to live.
kendricktamis
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Postby lzver » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:00 am

My husband was the one that wanted to get a bird as a pet - he had Aunts and Uncles that had parrots and had always wanted one himself. We had just lost a dog a few months earlier and was open to getting another pet, but I knew I didn't want to get another dog. So, off I went and started doing research.

I spent about a month doing some research and decided that a bird sounded like a great pet. So we we started looking around and that's when we found Lucy. We spent an hour at the store talking to the guy in the store who was very knowlegeable about birds. We went away and thought about it for a few days, did some more research and decided to go back and buy Lucy. We were just setting out to buy a Cockatiel, but Lucy wasn't much bigger than a Cockatiel and she was such a sweet little bird. She was 9 months old when we bought her and she had been in the store for almost 6 months. The guy in the store said lots of people showed interest in her, but more often than not people said she wasn't colorful enough. So, that sealed the deal and now she has her forever home. I have never looked back. I am a bird lover now and love having them around - the rest is history.

I would absolutely love to get 1 or 2 more birds, but with both my husband and I working full time all week, I don't think it would be fair to Lucy or Jessie or to the another bird to get anymore. It is an absolute joy to spend time with Lucy and Jessie every day.

Laura
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby michelle&buddy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:58 am

I had multiple budgies growing up and loved them so much. My very last one just passed away a few months ago from old age :budgie:

I fostered cockatoo's/parrots for some time, I had fostered 4 other parrots prior to Buddy. One goffin cockatoo (Waddles), one galah cockatoo (SweetPea), one green cheek conure (Khieva), and one Umbrella cockatoo (Dante). I worked with a foster group out of Utah. I loved doing it, but it was bittersweet when they found their forever home. Soon I decided I just needed to adopt one permanent one for me, and that is where Buddy came from.
michelle&buddy
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Little Corella Cockatoo
Flight: No

Postby Pola » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:40 am

everytime i went to a pet store i was always fascinated by birds. then i started to reasearch different kinds of birds. i think that what made me buy a bird is that they are sooo intelligent-you can teach them different tricks,talk etc... they are really interactive, they are playful. i think that people choose their pets by their personality and which pets suit them. some choose reptiles,cats or dogs but I choose birds!!! :P

1st i had a cockatiel but unfortunatly he suddenly died. :cry:
then i got a senegal from my brother
then i got a cinnamon/pineapple green cheeked conure

they both have different personalities which also amuses me :D
Pola :D
Pola
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple/cinnamon green cheeked conure- Tuppi

Postby HyperD » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:52 am

As a kid I always wanted a parrot. I suppose I too was intrigued by their intelligence and ability to talk.

As I grew up and started getting other responisibilities, that desire was left behind.

Then my sister got an African Grey, so I too decided I would get one :)

Unfortunately my other sister wasn't so easily convinced, she is going to get a turtle and/or a rabbit!
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Natacha » Sat May 29, 2010 8:19 am

Sorry about bringing this up but I'm finally looking through some older posts that I haven't looked at before and came by this..

I have always loved animals and as a kid wanted a lot of pets but since we moved a lot, my mom wasn't too keen on the idea. We once went to visit a friend of hers that had a budgie; this adorable little bird spent most of the afternoon on me and I was in total awe. This, combined with the stories my mom had about one of the budgies she had growing up convinced me that I would have a bird when I got older (back then I was probably thinking budgie since I was totally oblivious to other parrots people could own; the internet either didn't exist or wasn't used by the general population and I knew no one with another type of parrot).

This stuck with me and I did continue to "harass" (as a kid can do) my parents for a budgie. Nothing. Then we found this stray cat (who had clearly been a pet; my mom thought her previous owner probably just abandoned her when they moved like so many other cats) and she came back to our house often (my mom would always allow to go back out) so eventually became "ours", we even brought her with us when we moved. Now with this cat, who was quite the hunter in the beginning, my mom had a perfectly valid reason to say no to a budgie and I stopped asking, happy I finally had a pet.

Jump forward a few years and my mom keeps talking to me about a friend of her's Lovebird. How utterly sweet and fun it is, bla bla bla...She would talk about it A LOT so I thought I would start looking around for baby Lovebirds so I could offer her one for Mother's Day. I did found a few, not knowing better, they were available in the neighborhood pet store. Of course, I didn't just give her one, I did expose my plan, brought her to the pet store (she was reluctant at first) and then she totally fell in love with a creamino Lovebird she named Nicky.

Ah Nicky.

He started all of this.

When we got Nicky, I started, as well as my mother, to look up other types of parrots.
We all fell in love with Nicky. He was a bit, er how to say, "dumb" in some fashion (more like clueless about how to do some things) but this just added to his charm. But he was so full of love, how could you resist a bird that enjoys your presence and wants to be with you when you are there?
One Lovebird became two Lovebirds a few months later when my mom added Sydney to the growing flock. Then came an African Grey. These were all "family" birds (aka really my mom's but as long as I was living there, I could consider them my pets as well).

A year or so later after Nicky joined, I was looking for *my* first parrot.
I almost got a green cheek conure at a pet store but then came Piper (and I'm so happy he did since green cheeks are really not for me). Piper chose me and and to this day is still one of the sweetest most loving parrots I could ask for. I loved my family cat, her passing was one of the hardest things I had to go through, and I do love cats, hence why I have another, but birds bring something different than cats. I'm not sure I could describe it properly so I probably won't even try, but where I could imagine not having a cat for a while, I don't think it would be the same as no birds. I am perfectly content with one cat, can't say the same with birds; they are much more "addictive".
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby skeetersunconure » Sat May 29, 2010 3:16 pm

pchela wrote:My daughter wanted a budgie so I started researching parrots and realized while they were not a suitable pet for my daughter (too much work and we all know preteens don't really take care of things) they sounded perfect for me. .

im thirteen and i have a parrot :?
i wanted a bird becasue i love animals all animals and i was thinking how cool it would be to have a parrot and i started researching it and found out they were very intellegant and fun and their long lifespans and so i thought it would be a good experience and i have had skeeter for 7 months and he is the best little birdie :mrgreen:
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Jodie » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:41 am

I didn't choose a bird as a pet... he chose me!

My sister brought Henry home one day, and a couple of months in he decided I was 'his'.
He won me over when he waddled across the couch, crawled into my lap and flipped onto his back and went to sleep. So when I moved out, Henry packed up his belongings and came with me.

Eight years on, and we've never looked back.
Jodie
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:55 am

i worked at a pet store for 5 years with a range of different birds from budgies to an African grey and i found i related to them alot more than other animals, dogs didn't really interested me nether fish rats or mice. one day a guy brought in a rainbow lorikeet and said he could not have him anymore and left. i was his primary car giver and he developed that one person aggression that everyone else was afraid to handle him. he was for sale for $280 but no one would buy him he was an absolute sweetheart around me. i did not particualy want him at the time but my boss gave him to me for $250 (dare) im glad i did end up having him i could not imagine my life without birds now. my fav bird is the rainbow lorikeet for those reasons. if it was a senegal or african grey or a other type of bird that bird would probably be my fav but i love my lorikeets :)
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby lzver » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:37 am

Natacha wrote:I'm not sure I could describe it properly so I probably won't even try, but where I could imagine not having a cat for a while, I don't think it would be the same as no birds. I am perfectly content with one cat, can't say the same with birds; they are much more "addictive".

I think there are quite a few of us on here that can relate Natacha. We always had dogs as family pets and while I will always be a dog person, I'm not sure when/if I'll ever get another. I certainly won't in the house where we live now. If situation was different and we had a lot of land my husband would get a German Sheppard and it would have a dog house outside.

I can't explain either what draws me so much to Lucy and Jessie. I have a far greater bond with them than any dog I've ever had. I tried to explain to my parents this weekend, but it didn't work. And they are certainly 'addictive'. I've heard someone refer to it is 'Multiple Bird Syndrome' before :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic