Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bulk Pellet Storage & Dispensing

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Bulk Pellet Storage & Dispensing

Postby Scott » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:44 am

Since I will be purchasing Rowdy's pellets in bulk (20 lbs), I think I've decided on these two products to ensure freshness, and make dispensing (daily) easier.

I'd like to hear others thoughts too.....because it's not too late yet for me to change my mind.

This first product is a Vittles Vault that will hold up to 30 lbs of dry pellets. Designed to keep moisture (and other things out), and keep bulk food fresh. Here's a picture.....

The second product is a Zervo Dry Food Dispenser that will hold nearly two pounds, keeps food fresh, and makes dispensing a breeze. I have seen these used in the past for this application.

Thoughts or (better) alternatives?
Scott
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Ruby Macaw
Flight: No

Re: Bulk Pellet Storage & Dispensing

Postby Michael » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:09 pm

I just separate a big bag of pellets into several gallon sized zip lock bags (zipper style) and freeze all but the one I'm using. Then I keep that bag of pellets in a cooler near my bird's cage. The reason I like to keep the whole bag in a cooler is not only to keep the temperature even (and in the summer I add ice packs to keep the temp down) but also to keep the smell from attracting anything and I doubt a mouse or rat could make it through this thick cooler in one night.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Scott » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:00 pm

Michael wrote:I just separate a big bag of pellets into several gallon sized zip lock bags (zipper style) and freeze all but the one I'm using. Then I keep that bag of pellets in a cooler near my bird's cage. The reason I like to keep the whole bag in a cooler is not only to keep the temperature even (and in the summer I add ice packs to keep the temp down) but also to keep the smell from attracting anything and I doubt a mouse or rat could make it through this thick cooler in one night.

Thanks for the input Michael.

Just from a pure practical standpoint......I would be unable to store 20 or 30 lbs of food in my freezer without causing an.....um......er.......uproar with the "better half". :D

Our home stays a constant 70 degrees year 'round......and is humidity controlled. We have no problems with "varmints", and store at least 30 lbs of dog food in a "Blitz Store-N-Pour".

I have ordered the items in the OP.......we'll see how they work......and I'll report back.
Scott
Parakeet

Postby Kathleen » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:24 pm

It seems better to store a large amount of food frozen to avoid contamination, or to get the food more often in smaller amounts because if it's replaced more often, there is less likely a chance that it will be contaminated. :?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Postby Scott » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:44 am

Kathleen wrote:It seems better to store a large amount of food frozen to avoid contamination, or to get the food more often in smaller amounts because if it's replaced more often, there is less likely a chance that it will be contaminated. :?

Most (if not all) pellet manufacturers have a "freshness date" on their packaging. Most are fifteen (15) months from the manufacturing date (not the date you receive it).

The main enemies of any dry food storage are moisture, temperature, humidity, and pests (rodents, larvae, ants, etc).

If any of you haven't read about the Vittles Vault, I urge you to do so. Click here to read about them. It seems to get rave reviews (from the research I've done).

The Zervo dispenser only holds 17.5 ounces of dry (food) pellets. It also keeps food fresh for approximately two (2) weeks.

I should certainly go through 17.5 ounces of food in two weeks. I should also go through the 20 lb bag (stored in the Vittles Vault) in less than ten months.

Upon contacting the pellet manufacturers customer service department this morning, I was assured that using these two products would be a completely safe, and effective way of storing and dispensing their pellets.

As an aside, the dispenser is not a "must have" item.......it is purely for convenience.
Scott
Parakeet

Return to General & Off Topic