Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sun conure - 2 1/2 years old - Feather cyst on tail end? (Ph

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Sun conure - 2 1/2 years old - Feather cyst on tail end? (Ph

Postby Don.Crassus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:31 am

Hi guys, I was just playing with my birdie and felt a bump on her tail end. This is what it looks like

https://i.imgur.com/rX1ElzR.jpg

I did a little bit of google searching and have come to the conclusion that it is a feather cyst. Going to pay a visit to a vet tomorrow, anybody have any advice or experience with such a thing?

I'm in Brooklyn, New York, would anybody have a recommendation for a good vet?
Don.Crassus
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Sun conure - 2 1/2 years old - Feather cyst on tail end? (Ph

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:44 pm

It's hard to tell from the picture... there is something there, of course, but I don't know exactly where it is in relation to his uropygial gland so it could be an infection of it (sometimes, they become kind of 'clogged' and develop an infection)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Sun conure - 2 1/2 years old - Feather cyst on tail end? (Ph

Postby saara » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:14 pm

It's VERY interesting! I did not even know about supergenes! Apparently, the 'cluster' of genes called supergene is what determines heredity of the size, speed and shape of sperm - very cool!
saara
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 25
Types of Birds Owned: birds parrot ets

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet