Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Blue Crown Conure having Seizures

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Blue Crown Conure having Seizures

Postby Chappys Mom » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:22 pm

My heart is breaking for my little Chappy ... she has been with me about 6 years, was previously in a rescue ... for an even longer time ... such a good little bird. She had her first seizure this morning, brought her right in to the vet within a few hours. They did blood work and they said her "muscle activity level" was high, blood suger was a little elevated, electrolytes were elevated (all these could be caused by seizures), but no infection. She has been having these episodes all day. 15+ times. I fear a brain tumor is causing it ... I don't know why but I fear the worst. Her little feet don't work so well when all this happens... even in between, she is really dazed and can hardly stand up. I raised the bottom of her cage way up so she has only 8" of vertical space - no climbing or falling anywhere.

She is usually a little feisty and wont let me touch her a lot, but now she lets me pick her up, pet her, kiss her head. She is totally out of it. Like - not home. Lights off.

The vet gave me some seizure medicine (potassium bromide). I didn't think it could be metal poisoning, but I called back and told the vet if she has blood left to please test. This is so sad. I don't know how long she can go on having these episodes, although lately they have been small, still. I feel like I am going to lose her tonight and I don't want her to die all alone ... I'm a mess.

After the vet exam (where she had two loud episodes), the vet told me that it could be epilepsy, if not probably neurological. She said if it was neurological, I have to think about putting her down (quality of life issues). So we are seeing if the medicine will work within a few days. IF she holds on that long.

Prayers and good thoughts needed. :(
Chappys Mom
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: blue crown conure
spectacled amazon
cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Blue Crown Conure having Seizures

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:24 pm

Always !
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:41 am

Ask them to do an ionized calcium test because low calcium (and it doesn't show in the regular blood work) causes them and, if this is the case, it's easy to solve it. The other issue could be kidneys (do you feed pellets and/or give water in bottles?)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Harpmaker » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Is she doing any better today?
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby Victor » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:59 am

15 plus wow mine only had two all day. But I still feel your pain. Please please tell me your bird is doing better. It's so hard to watch. I hope you don't mind if I add you and your bird to my prayers. As that's all I can do.
Victor
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African gray and Cockatiel.

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet