Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Soother spray

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Soother spray

Postby Andromeda » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:51 pm

I thought I'd post about Soother spray in case it would be useful to anyone on the forum (it also comes in a cream). My vet recommended it when my Poi was plucking and although it did not stop his plucking it has been known to reduce or eliminate plucking and self-mutilation in some birds, especially in cases where it is caused by itchy, irritated skin.

Even though it didn't work on his plucking (which he is not doing anymore) I kept the bottle around because you can also use it for minor injuries such as small cuts and minor abrasions or lesions. It is a pain reliever, reduces swelling and inflammation, and promotes faster healing.

My Poi flew into a wall yesterday and while it wasn't a bad collision he ended up with a small abrasion on his cere which bled a little so I've been treating it with Soother and it's healing really nicely.

It doesn't have any scary ingredients. It's distilled water, aloe vera, and a quaternary ammonium solution for analgesia (please note this is not the same ammonia used in cleaning products but rather a type found in some human skin and hair products). The quaternary ammonium solution is very diluted and there have been no adverse reactions reported when inadvertently ingested during clinical trials but it does say "discontinue use if redness or irritation occurs."

Its use it not limited to birds and it can be used on other animals that have irritated skin or minor injuries.
Andromeda
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: brown-headed parrot, green cheek conure
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet