Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Watery Droppings

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Watery Droppings

Postby Lotus » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:16 pm

We've had Willow (a 4 month old Senegal) for a week now. She is still on the weaning diet recommended by the breeder which consists of pellets, fresh fruits and veggies, and a cooked blend of wheat and beans. Up until yesterday, she only picked at the fresh food and cooked stuff, but yesterday she devoured it and pretty much ignored her pellets. Her droppings however were normal, as they have been since we took her home.

But today she has had only one normal dropping and the rest are nothing but clear liquid. She seems to be going more often and is seems like so much liquid. So much so that I'm concerned. I contacted the breeder and am waiting to hear back but was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue come up and what you did about it.
Lotus
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Senegal
Flight: No

Re: Watery Droppings

Postby Michael » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Birds can get an upset stomach from time to time too, especially if you are testing new foods. I'd say that unless it continues for several days or the parrot is rapidly losing weight, it is not a severe concern. Continue to monitor the situation, try feeding back to known good food, and see what happens.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet