Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How long do Senegal Parrots live?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

How long do Senegal Parrots live?

Postby Brittanyv326 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:05 pm

I searched and searched but couldn't find a thread like this on the forums. I apologize if it exists already. Has anyone on here had a Senegal Parrot that lived out his life with you? Anyone have a really old Senegal? I've read 20 years, 30-40 years, and up to 50 years. But what is the reality? I understand that it would vary a lot depending on diet and level of care - but varying from 20-50 just seems unreasonable.

So, what do you think?
Brittanyv326
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.
Flight: Yes

Re: How long do Senegal Parrots live?

Postby Michael » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Honest answer? Nobody really knows. Usually those figures are derived based on the longest living individual encountered. That doesn't meant it's a common age. I have definitely met a bunch of Senegals in their late teens so I'm sure at least 20yo is a reasonable estimate. Beyond that, we have yet to find out when well cared for Senegals make it to that age.

Another reason we don't know is because Senegals weren't bred much until after the import ban. That's why you see many 10-17 year old Senegals but not much more that that. It's only been like 18 years since that I think? The imported wild caught Senegals don't say much because nobody knows their age when they were caught. Because of harsh breeding conditions they were kept in, not many are still around.

BUT KNOW THIS, a very large number of pet parrots do not make it anywhere close to their expected lifespan because of poor care. The lifespan estimates are not average age but potential lifespan. In order to increase the likelihood of your pet reaching that, good diet and exercise are essential as well as stringent safety measures!
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Brittanyv326 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks for the insight, Michael. I guess we will just have to wait & see what our bird's older cousins can do in ideal conditions. I think bird nutrition has taken a turn in the past decade as well. Away from seeds, to pellets & fresher foods. We may see all lifespans increase a bit! And now we can just google "can my parrot eat _____", whereas before there must have been a lot of mistakes and concerns with fresh foods.
Brittanyv326
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

Postby arichter5 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:03 pm

I got my Senegal the year my son was born. That was almost 37 years ago. I got him from a pet store and assume that he was at least 1-2 years old when I got him. So, here's one data point that shows they can live to at least 37.
arichter5
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Harpmaker » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:23 pm

arichter5 wrote:I got my Senegal the year my son was born. That was almost 37 years ago. I got him from a pet store and assume that he was at least 1-2 years old when I got him. So, here's one data point that shows they can live to at least 37.

Well done getting him good nutrition from what we knew back then! And for keeping him from accidents and self-destruction.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby CoolGuy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:24 pm

Researches Shows That In Wild They Could Live Upto 30 Years But With A Good Diet And As A Pet They Could Live Upto 50 Years. :senegal:
CoolGuy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby GreenWing » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:46 pm

arichter5 wrote:I got my Senegal the year my son was born. That was almost 37 years ago. I got him from a pet store and assume that he was at least 1-2 years old when I got him. So, here's one data point that shows they can live to at least 37.

I love learning of this, kudos to you in taking such good care of your sennie. :thumbsup:

I notice that your sennie is also flighted; flighting a parrot is conducive to the bird's health and can most certainly prolong it.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Well, although good diet and care are essential for longevity, genetics play a HUGE part and the 37 year old one is, most likely, a wild-caught which are INFINITELY healthier than captive bred. First generation offspring of wild-caught is also super healthy but the progeny of captive-bred which are babies and grandbabies of captive-bred are the ones that don't last.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby JaydeParrot » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:50 pm

Whoa! 37 years, that's what I want for my two! :). What do you feed your Senegal on?
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Postby JaydeParrot » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:36 pm

Actually, 37 years old is nice and all, but I want my two to live even longer than that! :).
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet