Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How long do Senegal Parrots live?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: How long do Senegal Parrots live?

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:54 am

Yes, we all do but captive-bred birds are vastly inferior, genetically speaking, to wild birds (natural selection) and captivity causes chronic stress which shortens their lifespans.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby traceybee » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:50 pm

My senegal, Boz, is 28 years old. I got him when I was 13 (I'm now 41). I know he was born in captivity. I got him when he was 2 or 3 months old (I don't recall exactly). Hope that give a little more insight... :senegal:
traceybee
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:58 am

Yes, first generations of wild-caught's were as healthy as their parents. Lucky you!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Jessica_H » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:13 am

My Senegal made it to 38. He just died this year.
Jessica_H
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:39 am

So sorry for your loss, my dear. He must have been a wild-caught that had good care. You must miss him very much...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bernie » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:28 am

Hello there just to say that I had my Senegal parrot bought for me on my Birthday when I was 27 and he died on my Birthday this year when I was 57. He was adult when we got him so I know for sure that he was in excess of 30 years old. I hope you get many more years from your birds. :senegal:
Bernie
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: African grey

Postby RossK » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:45 pm

I have one thats 27 YO and mean and nippy as ever. :senegal: The trick to a healthy bird is feed it table scraps like chicken , rice, eggs, etc. My Vet 27 years ago said feed the bird anything you eat unless its overly greasy or salty or contains chocolate. He also get a good seed mix and carrots the only veggy he will eat. My bird has NEVER been sick in 27 years. I was told Senegals live to be 30-35 years on average.
RossK
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:28 am

Well, I also had parrots over 20 years ago and used to feed human food, including animal protein (back then we thought they were omnivores) but I no longer do... all I can say is that our knowledge of what is good for them to eat has changed A LOT in the last 15 years - and continues to change!

As to life expectancy, it has now been raised to 50 years (the more we learn about them, the better our husbandry, the longer their lifespan). Has he had a bile acids test lately? I would be curious as to what his levels are...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby JaydeParrot » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:41 pm

My two :senegal: plan on living forever... So far so good! :lol: .
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Postby conisue » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:37 am

I have had my Senegal Parrot, Peaches, for 21 years now. I take her to the vet every year for a checkup. She has bonded to only me and not my husband. I got her from a pet store when she was 3 months old. She was hatched on 11/18/95 according to her band. She is the second love of my life. We play, we sing, and we even take naps together. I think my breathing lulls her to sleep. I wish she would live forever but I know that won't happen. But she is given the best life a bird could ask for. I congratulate those that have had their Senegal for many, many years and I hope I can join into that group. :senegal: :senegal: :senegal:
conisue
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Pink Ringneck Dove
Flight: No

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet