Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

parrots and willow

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

parrots and willow

Postby kimbo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:18 pm

did some read up and found that willow is ok for parrots, my point being are willow chew sticks for bunnies ok for my :senegal: . just checking as i cant find any chew sticks for parrots and chico loves chewing wood. are the fruit wood chews for bunnies any good either?. rather have info from people that have birds.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Re: parrots and willow

Postby purringparrot » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:53 am

I would stay away from fruit flavored woods in case they think it is food and swallow it.
Here is a site that has willow listed as safe: http://www.upatsix.com/faq/safewood.htm
purringparrot
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Congo grey, uncape parrot, bare-eyed cockatoo, bg macaw, gw macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby kimbo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:45 pm

thanks i just wanted to make sure. chico has just chewed his way through half a willow stick. the :senegal: beak is pretty strong. i can imagine that a flock of them could strip a tree and shred it very quickly.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Postby SirHubi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Haha :D ! Good point. Senegals would do that VERY quickly ! In Africa they are classified as pests on farms.

I read in 'Parrots' magazine issue 88 in May 2005 that willow is actually a little bit healthy for birds, so I think that there should be no problem with chewing it. In fact some breeders give willow to parrots, so that they can make a nest. :D
:senegal: - Cookie
SirHubi
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Poicephalus (Senegal Parrot)
Flight: Yes

Postby kimbo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:21 pm

thanks for the info. he loves his willow sticks and has chewed three up already. :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Postby cherylcat54 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:46 pm

Kimbo ~ Willow is ok if it is from Goat, Pussy or Weeping Willow trees.

The following woods are deemed Parrot 'safe, but there are exceptions within given categories ~
Here is a partial list:
Alder, Almond, Apple, Apricot, Ash, Aspen, Bamboo, Beech, Birch, Cherry,Citrus, Cork Oak, Cottonwood, Dogwood, Elm, Eucalyptus, Fig Species, Fir, Fruitless Mulberry, Grape Vines, Hickory, Manzanita, Maple, Mediterranean Laurel, Mesquite (remove thorns), Mimosa, Mulberry, Nut (except Chestnut & Oak), Oak (wood only, no bark or leaves), Palm, Papaya, Pear, Pecan, Pine, Poplar, Rose, Sassafras, Sequoia (redwood, no bark), Spruce, Sweet Gum, Sycamore,Walnut (Black Walnut may be dangerous)

Wash all wood in a bleach solution, rinse then for small branches bake in
oven at 250 for about 1 hour and for large branches wash, rinse and dry in direct sun.

I'm fairly conservative in what my parrots consume, and some 'natural treats may safely cross over but I lean toward NOT using other animal snacks and treats for parrots. Your bird should be satisfied with natural fruit/nut/pellet treats and you don't have to worry about unsafe ingredients or additives :)
:cockatoo:
Cheryl T. (Kaku2mom)
“Live that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.” ~ Will Rogers ~
cherylcat54
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 12 y/o Male M-2
7 y/o Fem. U-2
8 y/o Green Cheek Conure

Postby kimbo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:34 pm

it doesnt actually say what kind of willow. would it affect him now or later? hes chewed his way through three already, doesnt seem to have bothered him so far, a bit worried now.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet