Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Do you weigh your bird(s)?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Do you weigh your bird(s)?

Postby Natacha » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:20 am

Does you guys weigh your birds?
Do you own a gram scale or do you only have your birds weighed at the vet?

I think a gram scale is one important thing to own; since birds rarely show signs of illness before they get severely ill, weighing them can give you some insight before it's too late. A significant drop in weigh could indicate that something is wrong and a preventive visit to the vet might be in order.

It is also important to establish what is your bird's "normal" weight. Although there are charts out there with average bird weight per species, sometimes there is a variance depending on subspecies. This variance can be significant depending on the species so knowing where your bird is situated can help you figure out if he looses or has gained weight.

A bird's weight will vary from a couple of grams within a day so it's important to weigh them around the same time to have a true idea of the weight gain/loss.

Finally, scales aren't that expensive. I know people who have got them off e-bay for cheap. I got mine (I have two) in two different places; I got one in a specialty kitchen store for about $20 and I got one on sale at Canadian Tire for $10. You don't need them to be extra precise; anything less than a gram in difference isn't that significant for them. Just make sure you get one that will go up to your birds weight (I'm thinking big macaws and big cockatoos might need something different than your average kitchen gram scale ;) )
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Do you weigh your bird(s)?

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:20 am

Kitchen gram scales are often good till 11 pounds (whatever that is in grams) so even a hyacinth could be weighed on it if big enough a perch could be balanced on it.

I have a routine for weighing my birds coming out of cage and before going back into cage. I like to know what their empty weight is, their after training treats weight, and usually after meal weight too. By tracking these I can know how they are eating, how motivated they will be for training, illness, etc.

I use a regular kitchen scale but I built my own free standing perch that I put on the scale and tare. I did not want to build a perch into the scale because sometimes I want to be able to weigh food and such. Here's a video that shows me weighing the birds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAWOI3l0-k8
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet