Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flew away.

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Flew away.

Postby GreenWing » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:47 pm

My beloved Tiki flew out the door today. It all happened so fast. I ran to see where she went and I saw her cross a busy street and into the nearby raspberry fields.

I have been looking for her for hours. I thought I heard her calling for me, but there's a lot of wild birds in the raspberry fields. I don't know where to look as I didn't see where she landed.

I am devastated and heartbroken that my precious bird may be gone. How can I find her in miles of berry fields? What can I do? My partner is also so upset and I know it's my fault for not being more cautious. I am in disbelief and am so sad. Please help.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Flew away.

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:56 pm

If you think she recognizes your voice or some other particular sound only in your home, record it and blast it on a portable stereo. Set the bird's cage or travel cage near it with bird food. Set that in some central easy to find place. Leave it there and continue looking on foot.

Since Senegals are really quiet, don't be surprised to find the bird very nearby just quietly cowering/camouflaging. You could easily walk right past her. I once lost Kili in a Gym because she was quiet and still. Be very very attentive. It is not likely that the bird will come to you. You will have to find the bird.

Carry target stick and treats (if bird knows it). There's a chance bird sees you but you don't and those might draw it out to play. Get everyone you know to attentively walk every patch of land. Pay extra attention close because a weak housebird isn't likely to make it more than a quarter mile away.

Once it is dark and you cannot go on, start printing off posters at home and preparing for the next day. Find volunteers and people who can help you look forward and start at the first glimpse of light. You want to find the bird before it has a chance to go anywhere. Continue to leave a cage out and stereo with recordings going the best you can and continue checking in case bird comes back on its own.

When you do find the bird again, don't you dare clip its wings. It's not the bird's fault. It's yours. You will look into making a safety catch on the door and continue training to prevent a next time. Best of luck finding Tiki.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby GreenWing » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:53 pm

We've covered half of the field so far. I have sweat dripping off of me. But we're not giving up.

I don't blame the bird, I know it's my fault. :( I should have secured her in her cage as I went out into the garden to get her some food. I don't believe in clipping so you don't have to worry about that. I just didn't think this would happen. I just hope I find her.
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:56 pm

I hope so too. Just don't run around the field in a hurry. Walk slowly moving your eyes across EVERYTHING. Bird could be on the ground, on a branch, anywhere. Took me 10 minutes to find Kili in a fricken enclosed gym. Had absolutely no idea how she could vanish. She was on the floor like in the middle of it. So when it comes to finding a Senegal, it's really about meticulously checking and not rushing. Running around calling the bird (without prior training for this) is unlikely to flush it out from hiding. So instead look extremely thoroughly and solicit all the help you can get. You have about 72 hours. Make good use of it but take your time in the process.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby GreenWing » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:02 pm

Yes, we're walking through the field, I am calling her and scanning the raspberry bushes. There are a lot of wild birds -- Robins, Waxwings -- that are making a similar call that Tiki makes for me! What a nightmare.

Everyone, please cross your fingers for us. I'm headed back out. :cry:
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby marie83 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:28 am

Sorry to hear this. Good luck finding her and keep us updated.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby janetafloat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:34 am

Oh no GreenWing :o How dreadful you must be feeling! Keep looking, don't give up, amazing things can happen. Sending you all my wishes that you can bring Tiki home. Hugs
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby GreenWing » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:37 am

Thank you for the kind words, Marie and Janet. I looked again in the dark with a flashlight. The irony is I found a pair of sunglasses my husband lost but not my beloved companion. I can't begin to tell you the anguish I feel. I loved my bird so very much and I can't stand this. I am going to keep trying but I am so afraid my bird is gone forever. This is the worst feeling. I've had many dogs whom I've loved throughout my life but never have I loved a pet THIS much. I still can't believe this happened. I feel sick.
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby janetafloat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:08 am

:cry:
Don't lose hope! Put posters around like Michael said - someone might find her
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby cml » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:59 am

Oh no!

Im keeping my fingers crossed that you find her. Dont give up!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet