Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flew away.

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Flew away.

Postby marie83 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:59 am

janetafloat wrote:That's really hopeful!! Have you thought about going door to door in the neighbour she was seen, telling each household about her and leaving your number so that if she's spotted they could call you right away?

I like this idea, although its time consuming the more personal you can make things the more likely she is to find her way home. however don't dedicate too much time to it and neglect over tasks.
Actually is there any twitching/rambling or hiking groups in your area you can contact? If you could tempt a group of bird watchers into the area maybe their glasses and binos might aid the search. just a thought.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby GreenWing » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:24 am

Thank you to you both, yes I plan on talking to anyone I see in the streets in the neighborhood. I am not sure about a local hiking group but I will look into it. It is because of word of mouth that I got those clues (why didn't they call?!). She's been seen in the area which is hopeful not to mention safer for her. I hope she's finding food in the area as well with birdfeeders, maybe that's how she'll be found. Fingers crossed and while I have some fliers in this area of the neighborhood, there needs to be some more posted, especially where she was seen. A good piece of advice given to me by someone who rescues parrots is that loose birds will follow the sun and go back and forth, so that's something to keep in mind. I felt really hopeful last night after getting that info. I keep envisioning that phone call of someone saying they have her...
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:36 am

The biggest problem for lost pet birds is not food but water so make sure you are putting out bowls in different spots.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:53 am

Yes... it sprinkled the other day, and the fields were watered. Hopefully she'll find birdbaths, too. The last sighting of her was days ago... I hope she's hanging in there and is still alive. I heard of a Cockatiel surviving for a month outdoors before he was finally found.
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby cml » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:09 pm

I'll keep crossing my fingers for you and Tiki Greenwing!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby GreenWing » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:58 pm

cml wrote:I'll keep crossing my fingers for you and Tiki Greenwing!

Thank you, CML... that means a lot. :)
I searched a bit in the neighborhood with my mum, but it's really hot right now (well, 81 degrees is hot for a Portlander) so I am going to look more later when it cools down. Also I will post more fliers in the area.

Please continue to pray, cross fingers, do a dancing spell, whatever, to help bring her home :)
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby LadySaphine » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:37 am

This is terrible! I read every post, with Peanut on my shoulder here, there are tears in my eyes.

I don't think you live near me at all, or else I would've gotten my binocs and helped. Search for your local Audubon group, you might have one nearby. There are a lot of veteran birdwatchers in Audubon groups- some in mine can spot a Barred Owl (amazing camouflage) at night. Dunno how the do it.

I give all of my support to you. If I lost Peanut, I think my situation would be much worse. You're lucky to have all of those people helping you- I live in a neighborhood and probably my only chance of finding her would be searching for her myself and putting up signs. :/ As far as I know, I don't know any parrot people.

Tiki will come home. I'm 10000000% positive she will.
Peanut - :gcc: Yellow-sided Green Cheeked Conure. Rest in peace, my Peanut.
PJ- :bluebudgie: Cobalt Budgie
Steve- Image Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet
LadySaphine
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet, two button quail hens

Postby GreenWing » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Thank you for the kind comment, LadySaphine. I hope more than anything that you're right, I look for her everyday, and I haven't lost hope.

Someone in my neighborhood lost their cockatiel the other day. I ran into her and let her know I knew how she felt. In a stroke of luck she was featured on the local news... now even more eyes are searching the area.

Fliers of both of our birds are posted everywhere. I also posted outside of the area as well and talked to a lot of people. I was alerted of a posting on Craiglist of a found Sennie that sounded just like Tiki, but the bird was found July 2nd, so it's not her.

I did check out another Sennie listed for sale on Craiglist, just to see if it was Tiki. It wasn't her, and the experience was awful... the poor little guy was dirty, stressed, and in a bad situation. I wanted to take him then and there, but I told them in the meanwhile to take them to a parrot rescue as he was in bad shape. Hopefully they'll take my advice.

Fingers crossed that my Tiki will come home. Words cannot convey how much I miss her.
Last edited by GreenWing on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby GreenWing » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:03 pm

Michael wrote:https://www.facebook.com/trainedparrot/posts/581422175230323

Well, yeah, it's true. See my comments above, I already stated as such and warned others. Accidents happen, though, even when you're cautious.

And to "Kimbirdly Santiago" when Tiki DID fly away, the circumstances were VERY different and she was FULLY FLIGHTED. Please, people, don't assume, it makes you look ignorant, not to mention it DOESN'T HELP THE SITUATION.
Last edited by GreenWing on Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GreenWing
African Grey

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet