Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flew away.

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Flew away.

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Any sign?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Strawfrawg » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:24 pm

I've been following this thread but every time I try to compose a comment the words never look like enough. That, and it makes me want to cry. Gotta say it today, though. I've been thinking about Tiki every morning when I wake up my own Sennie. Thinking about what you are going through. It's something everyone with a flighted bird can relate to...it could happen to any of us. I've shared your fb link with friends in your vicinity. Only wish I could do more. Hang in there, and of course I hope with all my heart that you find Tiki. If you don't (and I think it's still too early to say you won't) I hope you can find peace. Be kind to yourself through this. Your exhaustive efforts to find your buddy prove what a good bird owner you are.
Marvin Beakman - DNA sexed male Senegal
Strawfrawg
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby GreenWing » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:40 am

Michael wrote:Any sign?

Sad to say, but no.

Strawfrawg wrote:I've been following this thread but every time I try to compose a comment the words never look like enough. That, and it makes me want to cry. Gotta say it today, though. I've been thinking about Tiki every morning when I wake up my own Sennie. Thinking about what you are going through. It's something everyone with a flighted bird can relate to...it could happen to any of us. I've shared your fb link with friends in your vicinity. Only wish I could do more. Hang in there, and of course I hope with all my heart that you find Tiki. If you don't (and I think it's still too early to say you won't) I hope you can find peace. Be kind to yourself through this. Your exhaustive efforts to find your buddy prove what a good bird owner you are.

Your message made me weep! Thank you.

I think I mentioned this on the forum when I was first posting, but before we had Tiki, we rescued an injured (domesticated) pigeon. I took him to the vet and was told he had a broken wing and that he would never fly again. So, we adopted him. He used to hang outside with us (supervised, of course) to receive vitamin D. But one day he actually surprised us by flying away. Pigeons can find their homes, though, so I like to think that he flew home to his original owner. I wish it was the same for parrots...

Everyone knew how much I loved Tiki. She was everything to me, we spent every day together. Her cage is still sitting outside on our patio. I'm not giving up and I still have hope that she's alive, but as I mentioned earlier - if we don't get news, eventually we'll have a memorial. I will never give up, but I also have to be realistic that she may be gone.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby ShellyBorg » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:35 am

I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you. I hope you awake soon to a angry hungry senegal on your porch.
“She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain
ShellyBorg
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: TAG, RLA, Senegal, Parrotlet

Postby MacT » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:03 am

still no sign?
MacT
Parrotlet

Postby Strawfrawg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:05 pm

I think a memorial would be healthy, if it gets to that point. I hope other people in your life respect how close you are to Tiki and would take part in it. Grieving sucks in isolation.

I have filled my boyfriend in on pretty much the entirety of your process over this whole ordeal, and he really got stuck on the bird you went to see that was in bad shape. He wondered aloud if maybe you were meant to meet that bird. Not something to think too much about now, but if the time comes....

I almost didn't mention this because it may seem a little unfeeling...I don't mean to imply that you should be looking to move on yet, by any means. I just thought it was interesting that David thought that other poor bird was significant. He's not somebody who is usually known to think things happen for a reason.
Marvin Beakman - DNA sexed male Senegal
Strawfrawg
Conure

Postby GreenWing » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:55 pm

MacT wrote:still no sign?

No. :( I'm still looking for her, though.

ShellyBorg wrote:I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you. I hope you awake soon to a angry hungry senegal on your porch.

Thank you. And yes, me too, that would be the happiest day of my life. :)

Strawfrawg wrote:I think a memorial would be healthy, if it gets to that point. I hope other people in your life respect how close you are to Tiki and would take part in it. Grieving sucks in isolation.

I have filled my boyfriend in on pretty much the entirety of your process over this whole ordeal, and he really got stuck on the bird you went to see that was in bad shape. He wondered aloud if maybe you were meant to meet that bird. Not something to think too much about now, but if the time comes....

I almost didn't mention this because it may seem a little unfeeling...I don't mean to imply that you should be looking to move on yet, by any means. I just thought it was interesting that David thought that other poor bird was significant. He's not somebody who is usually known to think things happen for a reason.

Thank you to you and your boyfriend, that is very kind. :) The thing is, the pet psychic told me that she believes someone has her. She said she is with two men, one of them knows about my fliers. I guess they have the "finders keepers" mentality. Tiki is adorable, she talks, so I can understand it although the thought is very upsetting. I am inclined to think that someone indeed has her. Tiki is socialized and friendly, she'd step up for anyone. IF someone has her, who knows if they'll ever return her.

As for the little guy I came across on Craigslist, yes, we thought about adopting him but the thing is, the woman who currently has him told me that he doesn't like men as he was abused by a man (a previous owner). Awful, isn't it? I am still considering it, although my husband also wants to be able to handle our birds. I really do hope they take my advice and take him to a rescue in the meantime. I think they want money out of the deal, despite the Senegal's sad situation, and it makes me really sad that people care more for money than a bird's well-being.

I do want other birds, I always have. I am signed up for a class to participate in working with/possibly fostering/adopting rescues for the future. Also, Tiki's parents will have a clutch this next Spring, and I am interested in getting a sibling bird of hers, in memory of her (that is, if she doesn't come home). This is all down the line, though... and I am not ready to take in another bird yet. I still hope that Tiki will come home.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby JaydeParrot » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:34 pm

If possible it may be best to put up lost posters with a photo of her and a named cash reward, if you can make the reward more than the usual going rate for a Senegal it might encourage someone if they have got her to come forward, putting a short sad story on the poster about how much she is missed might also help tug at heart strings.

Really hope you get her back.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet