Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

what do you feed your senegal

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

what do you feed your senegal

Postby Cozzy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:23 am

after reading the :senegal: compare topice,
seems like my :senegal: is under weight,
I have been feeding him with pellets + seeds...
however, he is still a bit underweight...
what do you feed your :senegal: ?
Cozzy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Budgie
cape
Flight: Yes

Re: what do you feed your senegal

Postby kimbo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:40 pm

i feed my :senegal: chico. pellets and vegetables, bits of fruit, seeds cause he likes millet although he shreds most of it and the odd bit of chicken and he did pinch a chip once. he also likes peanut butter on toast but only a bit. havnt weighed him yet as have to get him on the scales which i havnt taught him yet.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Postby Suzzique » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Though most birds of the same species will weigh similar amounts there are the exceptions. Much has to do with size. Greys are very good example of this as they can very greatly in size. While the average is about 440-450g it is not unsual to see 350g and up to 650g and the bird be totally normal for it's size. While I don't know how much Martini weights I do know he is one of the larger senegals I've seen. Most others I've seen in the bird stores here are smaller than he is. So he may weigh more but it doesn't mean that he is over weight.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby pfinarffle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:19 pm

Cozzy wrote:after reading the :senegal: compare topice,
seems like my :senegal: is under weight,
I have been feeding him with pellets + seeds...
however, he is still a bit underweight...
what do you feed your :senegal: ?

For now it's a mix of mostly Harrison's pepper course pellets and some Roudybush pellets, Goldenfeast Golden'obles and ZuPreem pellets (the last one because we were told PeeWee only ate ZuPreem but apparently he eats a lot more!). PeeWee's also prone to yeast infections, so we add organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar to his water as well as probiotics to his food and/or supplement his diet with yogurt/kefir daily. We're working on the fresh foods and sprouts but he refuses all veggies and some fruit. We've gotta be careful this, though, as he is prone to yeast and fresh/wet foods are prone to growing yeast. He adores pistachios so we use pieces of pistachio as treats. Other things are oatmeal, cottage cheese, and a tiny bit of flax seeds. I'm also thinking that once we get rid of ZuPreem we might substitute the Roudybush with Lafeber's nutriberries since Roudybush seems too similar to Harrison's to be worthwhile. Have people had good results with the nutriberries? They sound great in theory but I sometimes wonder...
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby DKjonathan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:49 am

I feed mine with fresh fruit and vegetables every day (apples, orange, carrots, salad, pepper, mango... almost everything except for avocado because it's dangerous), accustomed nutribird feed every day, water every day, fruit sticks once in a while, crispbread, grain bread.

... :senegal:
DKjonathan
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: One Senegal parrot

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet