Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gloop Recipes?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Gloop Recipes?

Postby EmberSanja » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:02 pm

I've heard pellets can be bad and would like to first get my bird from whatever other pellet to TOPs and then possibly from pellets to mostly gloop, but I don't have many/any recipes! I want to get a harness ASAP which is about $30, and then possibly replacement perches and toys depending on what I can't make, maybe get a seed guard if the cage doesn't have one/I can't make one (are the cloth like ones too easy to rip? I'm worried!), and I need a travel case and another cage. After all that, we still need to go to the avian vet, which I am assuming will be about ~$300, so I don't think I should hurry out and buy a birdie cookbook when you lovely people (and the rest of the internet) can suggest a few things that will tide my bird over until my family's finances will be ready for all these things.

So, how do you make gloop? How long does it take? What do I need?

Thank you very much!! :danicing:
Last edited by EmberSanja on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmberSanja
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck, Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Gloop Recipes?

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:03 am

Don't worry about buying new stuff for the cage or a harness but do take the bird to the avian vet. You are getting this bird sight-unseen and that's a VERY risky thing to do with a parrot (and the low price and willingness to ship it is very suspicious!). It's better to leave things exactly as they are in the cage until the bird feels more comfortable with its new home and humans (it provides them with a 'safe, familiar' place in a completely new, confusing, strange and stressful environment). Same thing with the diet, continue feeding what the bird has been eating for the first few days and until the avian vet gives you a clean bill of health (physical exam, CBC, chem panel, bile acids and Xray).

As to gloop recipes, you will have to experiment and find what your bird likes best. But you can use brown Basmati, Himalayan red or Japonica black rice, wheat kernels, hulled barley, kamut, teff, oat groats, millet, quinoa mixed with some beans (I only use small white beans because they are lowest in a bad lectin that all beans have), lentils (I mostly use black lentils -they are small and almost round and they also call them 'caviar' lentils- but brown ones are fine), veggies (I use corn, peas, carrots, green beans, hominy, broccoli, blue kale, sweet potatoes and butternut squash all the time but you can also use beets, artichoke hearts, palm hearts, etc). I add some flax, sesame and chia seeds to it, also.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Sene » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:26 pm

I have also been looking for a recipe for gloop. Thank-you Pajarita for posting what you put in it. Do you freeze some of it, I believe that I have read that you do in other posts. I think I'm starting to get confused between gloop and birdie bread. I am trying to get my Senegal "Birdie" to eat pellets but it doesn't seem to be going very well, so as for now I am just ensuring that he also has a bunch of veggies and fruit (and his former diet of seeds) during the day. I would really love if you could post what you feed your Senegal during the day, and when, and I will try to emulate that as best that I can. That way I know I'm in good hands, and Birdie is getting the nutrition that he needs :) Please? :) :senegal:
Sene
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby Tman007 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:19 pm

The Gloop is that for the morning feeding?
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:38 pm

Usually yes! Save the seed mix or pellets for dinner.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:03 am

Yes, I freeze it. I cook a double batch of grains (I do about two cups of each grain), freeze one half and prepare the other half with the beans, seeds, lentils and veggies. This 'prepared' half becomes what I call the 'basic recipe' and gets split into daily portions which go into individual freezer baggies and all of them, except one for the following morning, go into the freezer. Every afternoon I take out one baggie and leave it outside (in the summer, I just leave it in a bowl -otherwise you end up with water under it- on top of the kitchen counter but, in the winter, I put the baggie in a stainless steel bowl I place on top of one of the radiators). In the morning, the gloop is thawed and at room temperature and gets the daily flavoring mixed in. I give them one day spicy and one day fruity. When I worked full time, I used to freeze the daily portions already with the flavors in and leave all the raw produce washed, cut and ready for serving in a large bowl which I placed inside a supermarket plastic bag and placed in the fridge in order to minimize the morning work.

I have 'developed' different recipes for the daily flavor hich I know my birds like and put names to them (yes, bird people ARE crazy -LOL) so we have "Apple Pie" which has naturally dried, unsulfured chips of organic apples, raisins and/or currants, organic lemon rind grated finely, a squirt of organic, wild flower or clover honey and a sprinkle of Ceylon cinnamon. "Pizza" has chopped sundried tomatoes, chopped green pepper, black olives (sliced, pitless and thoroughly rinsed to get as much of the salt out of them although I do buy the 'low salt' ones), oregano and black pepper. "Eastern Delight" has chopped dates and figs, a bit of maple syrup (not pancake syrup but real maple syrup) and a sprinkle of allspice and nutmeg. "Chili sin carne" has chopped orange or yellow peppers, extra beans and chili powder (real easy and one of their favorites). "Pina Colada" has naturally dried, unsulfured, low sugar pineapple bits, grated unsweetened coconut and a bit of all-fruit orange marmalade. "Brussels Sprout Stew" has chopped Brussels sprouts, chopped red peppers, paprika, white pepper and a touch of thyme. See what I mean? You think of a 'human' recipe and simply adapt it to parrots.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Sene » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:41 am

Oh you are wonderful Pajarita, thank-you very much. I imagine that you are a much better cook for your birds than I am for my family Lol I am not much of a homemaker it seems ;) I will do my very best though to make these recipes for my sweet little Birdie. He figured out last night how much he loves figs, and went happily into his cage this morning before I left for work because I had one waiting for him in there. I also cooked up some cranberry beans for him last night too and he adored those as well - I on the other hand don't care for those beans at all. Maybe I'll make some quinoa (starting the basic gloop), he's never tried that before and my oldest daughters loves it.
Thank-you again for all your help.
Sene
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:31 am

All my culinary efforts are for the birds nowadays - I don't even cook for my husband any longer, he gets frozen pizza while my birds get homemade organic food from scratch -LOL-
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby amazhar » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:14 pm

How do you cook the gloop? Steam it? Boil it?
amazhar
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:14 am

The whole grains are cooked al dente, the lentils (I use black ones) are cooked thoroughly, the small white beans (the only kind I use) I get in cans (I don't trust myself to cook them well enough), the veggies are all frozen and added still frozen to the cooled cooked grains before bagging the gloop to freeze in individual daily portions (the idea is for the veggies not to thaw until it's time to feed the gloop).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet