Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Maybe not a million questions (but close)

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Maybe not a million questions (but close)

Postby Cedardave » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:30 pm

All good answers.We use egg shells for calcium.We save them in the freezer until we have a bunch and then bake them at 200 in the oven for about 20 minutes.Let them cool and run them thru the blender.Refridgerate and give a small amount daily.It helps replace the calcium depletion the bird will suffer from producing eggs as well as make the eggs stronger.
Cedardave
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 26
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaws(2)Blue and Gold macaws(2)Calico macaws(2)Military macaw(1)yellow collared macaw(1)African grey(4)red shouldered conure(4)sun conure(2)Amazon(1)blue crowned conure(1)
Greater Jardine(1)Blackwinged Jardine(1)Severe macawMuluccan cockatoo(1)Quaker parrot(2)
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:05 pm

tomanyales wrote:Sorry I wont high jack the thread.

Answering a question posed because of a comment made on the specific subject of the thread is not hijacking, it's explaining. But it's OK if you don't want to answer...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:11 pm

Cedardave wrote:All good answers.We use egg shells for calcium.We save them in the freezer until we have a bunch and then bake them at 200 in the oven for about 20 minutes.Let them cool and run them thru the blender.Refridgerate and give a small amount daily.It helps replace the calcium depletion the bird will suffer from producing eggs as well as make the eggs stronger.

I don't like to use eggshells even though I get them organic/vegetarian fed free range eggs so I know for a fact that the eggshells don't have any of the pesticide/antibiotic/hormone crap that the regular eggs have but what do you do for vit D3? Do you use a separate supplement?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby TheMrsFoster » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Cedardave.......26 birds???? I bet it gets pretty noisy at your house some days. LOL There's some days when Filo starts cutting up and she does all of her whistles (somehow it seems all at once) that it seems like I'm going to go out of my mind!!
TheMrsFoster
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey (CAG)
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:46 pm

TheMrsFoster wrote:Cedardave.......26 birds???? I bet it gets pretty noisy at your house some days. LOL There's some days when Filo starts cutting up and she does all of her whistles (somehow it seems all at once) that it seems like I'm going to go out of my mind!!

I don't have to concern myself with going out of my mind as I have birds living in my home with me so I know for a fact that I am already out of my ever lovin' mind!
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby TheMrsFoster » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:50 pm

I don't have to concern myself with going out of my mind as I have birds living in my home with me so I know for a fact that I am already out of my ever lovin' mind![/quote]

I have two pre-teen daughters and a son about to start college, so Filo is my sanity now!!! LOL That's why I think birds are perfect for me. They're very social, and don't require the walking or heavy lifting that some other pets require. They are the perfect pet that I can have with my physical limitations. My friends and family have mentioned how much happier I seem since Filo has been here, and I think a lot of it is because I don't sit here alone all day while everyone is at work and school. I have someone to talk to! My husband and I have been giving some thought to taking our extra bedroom (we use it as an office/ library right now) and making it into a bird room, since it has a fully eastern-facing window, so it's perfect for their solar light schedule.
TheMrsFoster
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey (CAG)
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:24 am

Oh, that would be just wonderful for Filo, Mrs. Foster! And I think Cedardave is a breeder... but I am not and I usually have around 40 birds (they come, they get rehomed, they die, sometimes get replaced, sometimes I look for a specifc species so as to provide a lonely one with a companion so the number is not always the same - right now I think it's low at about 38). But believe it or not, except for the canaries that sing all day long, the parrots are actually pretty quiet during the day.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby DanaandPod » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:28 pm

I want to comment about the sand perch. I have a very large sand perch with the holes/indents around it. I have it placed as the very most bottom perch in the cage with Pod's favorite foraging toy over it with Zupreem fruit flavored pellets (which I use as a treat) and he is only on that perch when toying around with this toy. This way he is moving around on it and ultimately filing his nails. Because it is the bottom most perch,,,it doesn't seem that it is causing any trouble to his feet. He is not on it regularly... Is uppermost perch is the parrot wizard perch and that is the one he uses most.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby liz » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:17 am

A noisy parrot is the one on my shoulder answering contact calls from the one in another room.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:43 am

DanaandPod wrote:I want to comment about the sand perch. I have a very large sand perch with the holes/indents around it. I have it placed as the very most bottom perch in the cage with Pod's favorite foraging toy over it with Zupreem fruit flavored pellets (which I use as a treat) and he is only on that perch when toying around with this toy. This way he is moving around on it and ultimately filing his nails. Because it is the bottom most perch,,,it doesn't seem that it is causing any trouble to his feet. He is not on it regularly... Is uppermost perch is the parrot wizard perch and that is the one he uses most.

The thing is that there are better alternatives which would keep his nails trimmed without him having to stand on sandpaper.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet