Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Stress Bars

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Stress Bars

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:09 pm

Here are some before and after shots of how Kili looked like. On the left is the first photo I have of her just over 3 months old. The one on the right was from today. At this point I'd say she is about 80% through her molt and you can see that her plumage has gotten brighter and cleaner looking. No more stress bars and her head is a more uniform gray color.

The eyes still aren't yellow but they are yellowish. They were practically gray at first. Natacha, do you remember by what age Shade's eyes were fully yellow?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Stress Bars

Postby Natacha » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:21 am

Did she have those stress bars when you first got her?

Shade's eyes aren't as yellow as other Senegals. I've read about that actually...some Senegals have what they call "blue eyes", although not quite blue, they aren't the bright yellow you see on some Senegals.

I think her eyes changed from baby colour to what they are now between 1 and 2 years old.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:06 am

Yeah, Kili had the stress bars before I got her. She had a lot of damaged tail feathers too but now everything is coming in really nicely (except some primaries that kept breaking). I have been adding vitamins to her water for the duration of her molt.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Kathleen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:51 am

It's easy to see now how much her plumage has changed. Her feathers look great now. She's not so speckled looking anymore.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Mona » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:24 pm

I like seeing these photos. It's funny how in her baby photo her head is almost green. Babylon had a green head and molted out to a grey head but that is how I knew she was the bird I picked out at the bird store.

Kili looks great! That is a huge improvement. Her feathers now are gorgeous. She's a beauty and she knows it. :senegal:
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby Kathleen » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Where do stress bars come from? Is it from being poorly raised? Is it from poor nutrition? Is it a lack of a certain vitamin in diet at the early stage?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet