Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Diabetes

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Diabetes

Postby Wolf » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:27 am

I found this article about a possible new treatment for avian diabetes http://www.bioportfolio.com/resources/p ... arrot.html
along with this other link concerning the elimination of excess iron in the bird's blood as a part of a new therapy to treat this disease. http://www.health-forums.com/alt-suppor ... 29171.html I thought I would share this with everyone and see if there were any thoughts on them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Diabetes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:08 am

VERY INTERESTING and one to keep for future reference! Thank you, Wolf!! But, diabetes insipidus (what this study was about) and diabetes mellitus (the only kind that birds were thought to have -and this is what makes this study so VERY interesting!) are two different conditions with completely different mechanisms and treatments. The insipidus is because of a lack or decrease in production of a hormone that regulates urine production (and the medicine given to the bird is the artificial version of it) while the mellitus is due to lack or decrease in insulin production (which is not really the case with birds as what they have is an excessive production of glucagon and that's why some vets think it should have a completely different name).

The super interesting part comes from the fact that because insipidus does NOT show an increase of glucose in the urine, it's HIGHLY likely that avian vets, presented with a bird that suffers from polydipsia (excessive thirst) and polyuria (excessive urination) -common symptoms to all there conditions- would not think to test for the insipidus and treat with the artificial hormone because nobody knew (before this) that birds could get the condition.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:09 pm

Yeah, I did note that they were different, with different causes and treatments, but I found them interesting.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:46 am

Oh, yes, VERY much so! Now, whenever we hear of a bird with polydipsia and polyuria which doesn't show high glucose on the blood work, one would know to ask for the insipidus test. A HUGE thing because the very first step of fixing a problem is identifying it!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:57 am

Very true ! It is very hard to fix something when you don't know what is wrong with it.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Wolf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:50 am

Pajarita;
I was reading up on diabetes in one of the medical texts that I down loaded from the web and found almost a page of information in insipidus and if you want me to I will email you the chapter including the page numbers. It is in a pdf format so I cant post it here.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:31 pm

Avian insipidus? If so, yes, please do. I keep lots of PDF files in my documents folder precisely because I can't keep the sites in my favorites.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:44 pm

Ok, I will send it to you.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Wolf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:12 pm

It is on the way.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby L X C » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:18 pm

The article linked at the top is no longer available:
http://www.bioportfolio.com/resources/pmarticle/48485/Central-Diabetes-Insipidus-In-An-African-Grey-Parrot.html

Here is another source for it:
https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.237.4.415

I have found that Blackwell's Five-Minute Veterinary Consult contains a page or two about diabetes insipidus (pages 91 & 92).

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1118934598/
L X C
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Timneh African Grey, Senegal, Sun Conure

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet