Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:23 pm

Great Northern beans are fine. You can make a simple gloop with the quinoa, lentils, beans, brown rice and wild rice you can find in the supermarket and then make the Kashi when you get it (you can order it from Amazon). You can also order small bags of whole grains from here: http://barryfarm.com/ - this is where I used to get all my ingredients before Whole Foods appeared.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:30 pm

I am assuming from your posts and my knowledge of US geography that you are living in Arkansas, are you closer to Clarkburg or Jonesboro? I don't recall much about this particular area except for rice and mosquitos. Although it has been close to 30 years since my last foray through this area, I don't expect it to have changed much, unless it got more economically depressed, if that is possible.
Any way you can use either Navy beans or Great Northern beans, both are white beans and should work fine.
Try and see if there is an unsweetened fruit juice that Bean likes and if so try his medication mixed in the juice. I would be better than the yogurt in my opinion. Also you could try some baby food, the kind that comes in little jars, and again look for it to be unsweetened. I don't know what brands there are to choose from as I never had kids.
You might ask your local vet for a 1 to 5 ml syringe to use for feeding meds to your bird with. Then you could make a game of feeding him his juice two or three times and then medication and back to a little juice. Parrots can taste but not as well as you can, so this works pretty well most of the time although you may have to start off without any meds in the syringe until Bean remembers being hand fed and begins to like it again.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby bean » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:06 pm

Your geography is spot on. Just about 30 miles east, on the other side of the river, in TN. The only is probably the mosquitos have gotten even bigger, and the econimics even worse. I will try both of your tips to get away from the yogurt. I have the syringe's (1ml) here to start trying that. I will also try to make a small batch of gloop to last me a couple days till my Amazon order get here. I have a freezer/shelves full of great food, now I just have to get it into Beans system. Thanks.
bean
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Front Amazon
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:51 pm

Somerville? Fisherville?
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby bean » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:56 am

Bradford, Gibson County. And I got Bean to take some nips at the end of a syringe with water in it, putting dribs in his mouth. After a little while he got smart and started biting the syringe further up, so I stopped for that session. Also I had no good rewards to offer him, with his new diet and him not wanting to eat much. Have to come up with something. . Bean ate more carrots, orange slice, picked at kale but not thrilled with it. Chard was a no go, celery he played with it and took a couple bites. Thanks.
bean
Cockatiel

Postby Navre » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:25 pm

I went to whole foods and tried to get everything. They didn't have the same brand of pilaf, so I got a different one. I had to get canned artichoke hearts, and not only did they not have white hominy, they didn't even know what it was.

I kind of assumed that small white beans were navy beans. That's what I got.

I was able to buy everything, plus strawberries, blueberries, and apples, for about $50.

I should be able to make a reasonable facsimile of gloop for Ocean tomorrow. (She thinks her name is silly bird. We might just go with that.)
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:22 pm

:lol: "Silly bird", eh? Yes, they do choose their names, sometimes.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby bean » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:30 pm

My first batch of pilaf is seeming undercooked. It is very firm, like under cooked (or overcooked) rice maybe. I know it supposed to be al dente, but can it be too firm? I don't want to toss it unless I have to? Edit: Its done, I tried it anyway, but he did not dig in. He picked the peas out, hulled them, threw the skin back in the pilaf. But he ate not grains. Is this unusual the first time they try this? I hope not. Im really banking on this working.
bean
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:13 pm

This is normal, so don't let it bother you too much. The best way to do this is to start by removing any food from the cage at night and then to wait in the morning for about an hour after he wakes up to feed him. Then sprinkle just a little of his normal food on top of the gloop and give that to him. He will eat his familiar food first and then progress to the other items in the gloop until he will finally begin to eat some of all of the gloop. Just leave it in the cage for him until dinner time. Amazons are usually really good eaters so it should not take too long before he starts eating more of the gloop and then you can quit sprinkling the other on it and he will continue to eat the gloop. In his condition we don't want him to not eat but he does need to get hungry enough to try it otherwise he won't eat it and you are right where you began. All of my birds like this once the get accustomed to it and eat it before anything else that I offer them.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Saber » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:04 am

Would it be ok to use canned versions of all the items as long as I rinse them well?
Saber
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey (Scooty)

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet