Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Postby Saber » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:46 pm

I don't see a way for many of us to grow our own fruit. Maybe one kind but not all areas are suitable to grow fruit, or food in general. I just buy organic, peel and wash as best I can and go with that.
Saber
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey (Scooty)
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:16 am

liz wrote:So if I don't grow it - they don't get it?

No, no, if that was the case, none of us could feed enough variety to our parrots. For a healthy bird, buying the 'cleanest' produce in 'regular' and the 'dirtiest' always organic works. I usually always get all of the 'dirtiest' organic and whatever else is not too much higher in price - if it's something that NEEDS to be organic but it's super expensive (like organic cherries, for example), I only buy it at the height of the season and, preferably, on sale.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:32 pm

Let's bring this back to the top for the Newbies.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Saber » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:56 am

I was going to get this Kashi from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kashi-Whole-Grain ... rain+Pilaf

But I've read that some come stale. Have any of you that have ordered it from Amazon noticed that? And even if it was a bit stale do you think our birds would notice it (of course depending on how stale and assuring it's not expired lol). I figured it would save money to get more at once instead of 3 packs at a time.
Saber
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:03 pm

I don't use the Kashi pilaf because it has rye and my birds don't like it but you can't use old grains (or seeds and nuts, for that matter) because of aspergillus/aflatoxin.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Saber » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:27 pm

Got ya. I was just going off that list you posted way back on page 1. I had never tried that kashi but maybe I'll just try the smaller amount just in case Scooty doesn't like it either :)
Saber
Lovebird

Postby Harpmaker » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:28 pm

I bought Kashi pilaf from Amazon earlier this year. It has a date on the bottom --mine says Sep 02 16, so it is supposed to last a while.

Corsair wasn't sure she liked gloop mixed in with her chop, but when it ran out she seemed to miss it. I took the hint and made more.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby liz » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:10 pm

I love the name Corsair.
I was buying grain from Amazon but after this last shipment I won't do it again. I paid $12 for a 3 pound bag of faro and $13 for shipping. I thought you didn't pay shipping on Amazon Prime.

The few grocery store I found that carry grain are the ritzy ones that charge double.

Big Lot stores carry grain with good dates and I have found nothing wrong with it. I don't always get what I am looking for but they have a good selection.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Saber » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:34 pm

I like the name Corsair too :) It reminds me of my old gaming keyboard lol.

Prime is free shipping but not everything is offered under prime. Some sellers still charge shipping and on the flip side some prime sellers that have the free shipping up the base cost of the product a bit. Basically have to shop around like we do in stores and see what the better overall deal is.
Saber
Lovebird

Postby Harpmaker » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:27 am

My husband put forward the name Corsair because he found a reference to a WWII plane nicknamed "whistling death". :D I picked up on it as a ship class sometimes used by pirates. Hubby is still trying to teach her to say "My name is Corsair, the whistling death" followed by an evil laugh. So far she sometimes says "Cor-sssair".
Harpmaker
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet