Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Postby Navre » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:41 pm

Flax seeds are good to add.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:08 pm

I don't know why this batch starts to really smell after a couple of hours. The only thing I'm doing differently is adding flax and avicalm.

I take out the frozen pucks at 10pm, and by 6 am they're nice and thawed, but still cold.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:13 am

My gloop always has flax seeds so I doubt it's that - but I also doubt it's the avicalm because, as far as I can tell, it has no smell whatsoever when dry or wet... What kind of smell is it? Is it yeasty, grainy, fruity, sour? Or are you like my husband who says 'rotten' for every single thing he says smells bad regardless of what the smell really is? :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:17 am

It smells a lot like it's the broccoli. Maybe I cut it up too much?
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 am

It smells like if you forgot to run the garbage disposal!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:45 am

:lol: No garbage disposal in my house as no food is thrown out because what we, the cats, dogs or birds don't eat, I give to the pigeons [as well as peelings and scrapings of veggies or anything that gets cut off because it's overly ripe]. But I doubt it's the broccoli, either -unless it went bad. I use the bags of frozen chopped broccoli and the stuff is chopped real small -which is the way I get all the birds to eat it. I use a tenderizing mallet on the bag so as to separate all the tiny frozen pieces that might have gotten stuck together and just put the whole thing into the gloop mix - easy peasy lemon squeezy! :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:25 am

I read in another thread that you were eliminating the kale from this?

(I got bitten today and my hand is throbbing, keeping me awake.)
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:47 am

Yes, I have eliminated it. It is nutritive, no doubt about that, but my birds get a real good and varied diet in terms of produce and I was worrying over their getting the kale every day -even if it was in a small amount. Naida tends to have what humans would call a 'sensitive stomach' and would get diarrhea every now and then. Nothing serious, it usually went away in a day or so and it was just that every poop was too wet, not that she would poop more than usual - but it still got me thinking about the possibility that it was the small amount of kale in the gloop so I eliminated it and she has gotten better. They still get kale, but only fresh as their leafy green of the day and only once every other week or so.

In truth, the more I learn about parrots natural diets, the more convinced I become that their diets are not as nutritious as we think they should be and that it might very well be harmful to them to eat a super nutritious meal every time...

And yes, those deep bites that not only cut the skin but also deeply bruise the flesh hurt A LOT! That's why I said that the silver lining of mine was that it must have damaged nerves so I have no feeling in half my finger... Mine is looking better, the very uneven edges of the wound [which I cannot figure out how he did because it felt as if he grabbed it and never moved the beak, only applying hard pressure to it and not letting go, but he must have moved it because one of the sides looks as if it has fringes to it with more than just one deep cut] have closed together, the swelling is going down, it's changing colors and it seems as if I am beginning to regain some feeling on the left side of the tip so it's going well... Now if only my husband would shut up about it, we would be good!
Last edited by Pajarita on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:53 am

Pajarita wrote:Yes, I have eliminated it. It is nutritive, no doubt about that, but my birds get a real good and varied diet in terms of produce and I was worrying over their getting the kale every day -even if it was in a small amount. Naida tends to have what humans would call a 'sensitive stomach' and would get diarrhea every now and then. Nothing serious, it usually went away in a day or so and it was just that every poop was too wet, not that she would poop more than usual - but it still got me thinking about the possibility that it was the small amount of kale in the gloop so I eliminated it and she has gotten better. They still get kale, but only fresh as their leafy green of the day and only once every other week or so.

In truth, the more I learn about parrots natural diets, the more convinced I become that their diets are not as nutritious as we think they should be and that it might very well be harmful to them to eat a super nutritious meal every time...

I know it's like that with a my tortoise. A desert tortoise who has to wander great distances to eat things more accurately called browns than greens doesn't need good nutrition. They need low nutrient stuff. I don't even feed her every day. It's good for her to go a few days without eating. (It would probably help me, too)
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:00 am

Indeed! Animals in the wild don't get good nutrition or even enough food every day! People tend to forget about this and think that if a little is good, more would be better - but it's not! Birds, including parrots from tropical climates, are seasonal eaters and, during the 'bad' season [winter or wet season], they don't get a whole lot of nutritious food and, some days they don't get enough or any at all!

I am sure that my parrots would actually benefit from not getting a good dinner every now and then but I can't bring myself to do it...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet