Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:54 pm

Navre wrote:But now I'm worried that I might have made Tanya sicker if I gave her this stuff.

Dont be hard on yourself. All anyone can do is the best they can with what they know at the time. She will get better with better food and with the love and caring you are showering her with.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:11 am

Navre wrote:But now I'm worried that I might have made Tanya sicker if I gave her this stuff.

Seagoatdeb is right. You can't think that way. We all do up to a point but it's an exercise in futility. All we can do is keep an open mind, do research all the time, be vigilant about ingredients and, most importantly, learn from our mistakes and don't repeat them because there is no way on this green earth that we will not make any so we might as well resign ourselves to that fact and keep on going. Besides, her problem was cholesterol and liver damage, not kidneys so I doubt it contributed in any significant way to her problems.

I don't know what you can find in your supermarket but look in the section where they have the Bob's Red Mill items [either where they have the rice or in the 'health food' section], They pretty much sell all the grains for the gloop: wheats, kamut, hulled barley, teff, oats, etc. And there are now brands of red and the black rice in the supermarket, too [Lundberg's comes to mind] - only they can have different names -the red is also called wehani, burgundy red and Himalayan, and the black is Imperial, Forbidden and Japonica. But, if you can't, go to Amazon, they have EVERYTHING!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:15 am

I ordered the Kashi on Amazon.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:19 am

Navre wrote:I ordered the Kashi on Amazon.

I ordered 6 boxes and the sent me 12! I won’t need to buy this for quite a while.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 pm

Great deal! :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:51 am

Paj, we had research before about how long the gloop could stay in the cage. They’re wanting me to pull it out at the rescue at 0930 Because I put it in at 0530 and they think it spoils after 4 hours. If this is tru it means I can’t volunteer any more because my birds have it from 0300 until after 2030 when I get home.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:00 am

We use a veggie fruit mix that isn’t really like this gloop at the rescue. I hate taking it away from the birds at 0900. Seems crazy. If I have to follow these rules I’ll make them a second batch at 0900 and pull it out at 1300.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:37 am

I don't know why people obsess over this or where they get the information although I think it's nothing more than repeating [like the proverbial parrot] something somebody told them or that they read somewhere, also written by somebody who never really did any research because Lord knows that I have looked and looked and looked and have never found anything that says that food goes bad in a few hours. I mean, the whole notion is just plain ridiculous when you think that refrigeration is something very recent in human history and that there are people nowadays who still don't have it [Bolivian Indians who live in the mountains and eat quinoa and other grains all the time don't even have electricity]. Because, if food went bad so fast, humanity would be still nomadic and relying on hunting/gathering exclusively!

I have been feeding gloop since 1994. I've had hundreds of birds under my care and I have never, ever, EVER had a single problem with leaving the gloop out all day long. No diarrhea, no inappetence, no fungal infection, no bloat, no nothing! And I'll tell you more: I collect the uneaten gloop in the evening into a bowl and feed it to the pigeons the following morning and that 24 hour old gloop doesn't even smell sour!

Personally, I think it's harmful to leave birds without any food for so many hours. My birds have food in their cages [whether they are in them or not], almost the entire day -the only time they don't is while I am in the process of cleaning them - but even then they have the fresh raw produce of the day which they always start eating before I put it in the cage because they either steal it or I give it to them.

Did you ask them which research supports this theory that food goes so bad in a few hours that it's actually harmful? Because I've never found any aside from restaurant guidelines that say two hours but that's like the 'sell by' date, nothing but a super exaggeration because it's not as if an egg is going to become rotten beyond this date [they actually remain perfectly edible two weeks after this date -and this is not my personal opinion, it's a fact].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:30 am

I won’t let the birds go without the soft food. I’ll dump it every three hours and refill it. Terribly wasteful, but not my problem.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:29 am

Yes, that will work but what about the days when you are not there? They won't get any food for hours and hours...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet