Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Postby Navre » Wed May 13, 2015 12:57 pm

Bought the ingredients for another batch today. Still can't find Hominy, so I am doubling up the corn. Didn't find the canned lentils, so I'm just skipping them.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Wed May 13, 2015 2:41 pm

I don't think that I have ever seen canned lentils, I usually find them with the dried beans. Hominy, on the other hand I have only found canned.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 14, 2015 11:22 am

Yes, hominy is always canned and, although there are canned lentils (Hispanic brands have them), I use the black dry ones and cook them with the rices. But don't double the corn if you cannot add hominy because corn is sweet and hominy is not.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu May 14, 2015 3:39 pm

I did find the hominy today.

I was worried about uncooked lentils. I think they're supposed to be cooked for a long time, and I didn't know if under-cooked ones would be okay for the bird.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Thu May 14, 2015 7:35 pm

Lentils don't take all that long to cook, I can't say that I have really timed them before but they take me about the same amount of time as wild rice.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 15, 2015 12:10 pm

Yep, the whole grain rices I use (red, black and wild) take about the same as the lentils (40 minutes) so I always cook them together (I also do the wheat with the kamut and the oats with the barley)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Saerphe » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:18 pm

Made my first batch of gloop for Akimi this evening, and it turned out how Pajarita and Wolf described it should... I'll serve it to her in the morning and see how it goes. She's been pretty good about at least trying new food so far, so I have confidence she'll at least learn to like it fairly soon.

She was on one of those typical parrot mixes chock-full of sunflower seeds and peanuts. As soon as I learned that I knew that was one of the first things I'd have to change - she's been on her old diet for the past week since I got her (sunflower seeds and peanuts picked out by me, of course) with whatever raw and cooked veggies or fruit I have around the apartment and the odd taste of food off my plate as a treat(something like whole wheat toast, pasta, or cooked potatoes and veggies prior to butter/salt/sauces). She loves corn and grapes, and has at least nibbled at carrots, peas, peppers, and green beans.

I was actually able to get all my gloop ingredients (except frozen veggies, but I already had those at home) at The Bulk Barn for cheaper than what I paid for the Zupreem pellets I was initially going to switch her to. A lot of what I ended up buying were even available in organic. I made enough to fill two ice cube trays and a sizeable tupperware, and the leftover uncooked ingredients are stored for when I need to make more. :)

**EDIT**

She's already eating it quite well! Though she does like to pick out the lentils and throw them on the floor. :lol:
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:15 pm

Aha! Another successful transition! I tell you, gloop rocks! As to the lentils, try the black ones. They have them in Whole Foods in packages (same aisle as the packaged rices) but, if you don't have a Whole Foods nearby, you can also get them online. They are completely round instead of flat 'discs' like the green, brown and red ones - and birds like them better.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Saerphe » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:30 pm

I'll have to try those ones next time. I got the brown ones at Bulk Barn because they were organic. :)

She's been in and out of her gloop all day. She loves it! :D We also practiced playing independently (she begs and screams incessantly when me or my brother are in the room), had a shower, and started target training. Not bad for 1 week to the day since I brought her home. :D
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Wolf » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:35 pm

A certain amount of early training may be ok, but generally for at least the first month I don't work at anything other than winning the birds trust, learning all that I can from the bird and diet or other things of that nature. As I said a little training might be good just don't get too caught up in it at first, you will have plenty of time for training once the bird trusts you.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet