Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Postby Wolf » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:54 am

Thankfully for Scooty and many of us Kale is not the only leafy green available to eat or that we can get the nutrients that we need from. As for the lists of good and bad for the bird goes, I keep several lists of household items, woods, plants and foods that are either toxic or not for my birds. I do this because of the differences in all of them and some are better than others. So far the best list that I have found is the one that begins on the second page of this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12521
As for lists I hope this one will help you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby bean » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:15 am

today is my fourth day on the new gloop diet. he has not eaten much of the mixture of grains beans and corn very much at all and I'm starting to worry. he picks the beans when he gets hungry and eats them because he likes the white beans and he picks at the grain in the pilaf a little bit but not the corn at all. how many days should it take before I start to worry that he is not going to eat?I know he's hungry and has an appetite because when he sees me eating he goes crazy and if I hand them a treat he hogs it down so it's not like he's not hungry, which is good but he's not taking to the new stuff yet which is not good. I just didn't know if somebody had been here and knew of how long some different birds have held out before taking to the new mixture. also is there a time where you should add something, even though he has not eaten the first vegetable, in this case corn. Bean is a stubborn parrot.
bean
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Front Amazon
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:50 am

Are you mixing a bit of budgie seed into the gloop? Because it helps when they see something they easily identify as food mixed in with stuff they don't know, like the grains and such.

Now, as long as you are feeding him 1/4 cup (measuring, not a coffee mug, mind you and absolutely level) of the budgie seed for dinner, he is not starving. But if you continue giving him 'treats' in the middle of the day, he will continue not eating his gloop early in the morning.

Also, are you using the Kashi pilaf? Because it has rye which a lot of my birds dislike.

As to how long, it usually takes me just a few days to get the new birds to eat it but I have the advantage of having birds that have been with me for a long time which all love the gloop and, when the new bird sees the 'old' bird eating it, it tries it, likes it, and continues eating it. But a quaker I have now took more than a month to start eating... I always use the quarantine period to transition them because, once they are loose in the birdroom, it's hard for me to determine whether they are eating everything in the gloop and, until this quaker, all of the new birds had always started eating the gloop way before their quarantine period was over. This bird would wait every single day for her seeds at night and eat nothing during the entire day! I was not only frustrated over the whole thing, I was also worried because I did not want to keep her in a cage any longer (I hate cages!). So, in desperation and out of concern for her, I let her out and you know what? She was eating not only the gloop but also the produce in 24 hours! I guess she hated been caged and that affected her appetite...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby bean » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:37 am

Yes I feed him the Pilaf by Kashi, I did not know there was an alternative. Even though he ate his first bowl today, if think he would like something better, I would try it.
I bought a fresh artichoke, and realized I dont know what part of it a parrot eats. I dont eat them, but I thinkni remember my grandfather eating the leaves. Do you boil them, then chop the leaves? And the canned hearts, how do they eat them? A side note, you guys were talking about eating apples here a few posts back, Bean will patiently skin ever chunk. You woukd get back the bowl with just skin so thin, its almost transparent. :thumbsup:
bean
Cockatiel

Postby liz » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:25 am

You boil or steam and artichoke until it pales in color and the petals are flexible. Cut the end of the stem that has dried and pull off the last 3 rows of petals. The part of the artichoke that we eat is actually the flower bud.

The whole pedal is not eatable. You just eat the soft part where the pedal was attached. The best part is the choke. After all the pedals are off and you scrape the hairy stuff out, the choke is soft and easy to eat.

My Amazons don't eat apple skins. They peel and orange completely before they eat it. Rambo peels grapes and leaves the skins. Myrtle scrapes the inside out of a grape and leaves the skin.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:59 am

I use the frozen artichoke hearts, Liz, and just chop them very finely before I add them to the gloop. You mentioned apples and I don't remember if I mentioned this to you but, when you have decrease in liver function, the best thing is to feed completely organic (apples have been the No. 1 'dirtiest' produce on the list for years and years) as well as use spring water for drinking. The reason for this is that the liver and the kidneys are the filters of the body so they 'clean out' all the stuff that is not good for it and, of course, this includes all the chemicals found in produce and water nowadays: fertilizers, insecticides, antifungal, antibiotics, chlorine, etc so, when you have a liver with problems, you want to eliminate as much of the 'routine' work it does as possible so the organ can 'concentrate' in healing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby bean » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:58 pm

Wow, I read that about the apples, and they have been a staple in Bean's diet for at least the last few years. AND NOT ORGANIC. That's scarry. I have not fed him an apple in over a month, mainly because he is refusing them for some reason. Maybe he know something I did not. I did clean his apples well, but I guess this matters little :cry: . Im going to cook the artichoke.
bean
Cockatiel

Postby liz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:59 am

It is probably 7 years now that I have been buying spring water for my pets. With as many pets as I have it gets expensive so I drink tap water. Walmart sells gallons of spring water for about 88c.
I never use anything but spring water to soften the grain in my gloop.

I did not know about the apples. Mine don't eat the skins so I peal them and dip them in lemon water to keep them from turning brown. The lemon water also works on bananas and carrots that are served raw to the Amazons.

There is so little to eat on an artichoke pedal that while foraging for the meat of it he will turn green. Mine turn them into frizbees when they finishing eating.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:39 am

It doesn't matter if you peel the apples because the bad stuff is in the 'flesh' (the peel is very thin and all the chemicals go right through into the fruit). All the fruits that have thin skin have that problem: pears, peaches, nectarines, cherries, strawberries, etc. Apples happen to be the worst of the bad with over 40 different chemicals on each of them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:44 pm

So if I don't grow it - they don't get it?
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet