Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Postby Navre » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:02 am

I know missing a meal occasionally can help stop breeding behavior. I just hate to throttle their food. It many cases it's their only pleasure
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:10 am

I hear you! They have so little to be happy about, our poor pet parrots, that taking away their food is just too cruel in my eyes... I am sure it's not if you know what you are doing, the bird is healthy, strong and well fed and do it only once in a while but I still can't bring myself to do it. I am a grandmother and, to me, feeding babies well is what life is all about - I drive my kids NUTS because, in my opinion, they are too nonchalant about what my grandkids eat -I have a grandson that practically lives on pretzels, crackers, pickles and chocolate and a grand-daughter that the only thing she wants is 'juguito' [little juice in Spanish] and spaghetti!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:39 am

It's a constant battle at the rescue. I give too much chop and we end up throwing away a ton at the end of the day. But if I don't use it, we end up throwing away a ton of produce that never even gets used.

I try to eat some chop in front of the birds who don't eat it. Sometimes it helps. I just hate when I think I'm grabbing a piece of pear and it ends up being parsnip!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:34 am

:lol: YUK! Raw parsnip has to be much worse than raw greenbeans which is about the only thing I don't eat with them [today was a good day because it was oranges and red radishes, two things I like a lot!] In my personal opinion, chop doesn't work as well as gloop [my birds would not touch anything that is too wet or so finely cut] but if that's what they use, I guess it is what it is, right? But why do you say it goes to waste? Don't they have a freezer in the rescue? Because chop is usually frozen into cubes - mash is the one they get done fresh - but I guess the terms don't mean what they started as when they first came out...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:45 pm

We cut up vegetables and fruits in the afternoon for the next morning. We serve it first thing and pull it out around 2 when we give the pellets. Anything not eaten goes into the compost pile.

It's a different mix every day, depending on what we got out of the garden and what we have in the refrigerator.

We do have a freezer now, but we didn't have it until about a year ago.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:15 am

Well, raw veggies that are cut up tend to become terribly mushy as the hours go by so I would imagine that the mixture looks more like a mash in the morning than anything else.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Pajarita wrote:Well, raw veggies that are cut up tend to become terribly mushy as the hours go by so I would imagine that the mixture looks more like a mash in the morning than anything else.

It’s refrigerated. It seems to hold up pretty well.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:48 am

But wouldn't it be easier, faster, more practical and economical if they made a large batch of chop and froze it in individual daily portions instead of making it every day and leaving it overnight in the fridge?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:27 pm

I’ve been using Seeds of Change Seven Whole Grains, but it has dried onions, sea salt, dried garlic. This didn’t what I started with. Whole Foods changed the stuff and this is what I’ve been using for a while. Ugh.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:31 pm

I’m just leaving it out of this batch until I can find the right stuff.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet