Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Postby Wolf » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:05 am

seagoatdeb wrote:I get my oat groats at a wholesale raw food place in Canada, but most health food stores should carry them. Spinach, beet greens and swiss chard should be used sparyingly, but Collards are much lower in Oxalate. I dont feed whole wheat, or grains that contain oxalates often, so my parrots arent getting daily oxalate from that, so I can use and rotate more greens.

Here is a chart of how much Oxalate is in foods.
http://www.childrensdayton.org/cms/reso ... d_diet.pdf

Thanks for the link, I found it interesting.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:09 pm

Yes, Seagoatdeb is right, collards are actually a 'medium' oxalate green but I don't feed it because they don't really like it very much (I think it's the thick leaves that does it), it needs to be organic (and I never find it in my supermarket) and I kind of make things even by feeding, every now and then, high oxalate greens I can buy 'regular' and which they either LOVE (like red Swiss chard) or are very nutritious in other aspects (like dandelion greens).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:22 pm

I grow collard greens so pick mine fresh and tender, so that makes a difference to taste for both me and the parrots.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:02 pm

Yes, I guess the young leaves must be much tender. My passerines would eat 'tough' leaves like the ones from cabbages but, for some reason, they would not touch the collard greens -which look tougher than the cabbages leaves to me.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:30 pm

I run collards, and everything else, through he food processor when making chop at the rescue.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:51 pm

Spring is happening here and my collards made it through the winter, its rare they usually last only two years, but the new shoots are really mild and yummy the bigger shoots are bitter. I think they will probaly seed as soon as it gets warm enough and i will collect the seeds to regrow, and it will give more to trade with the other heritage seed growers in the area.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Navre » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:42 pm

Whole Foods changed all the frozen foods they carry. It looks like they dropped an entire line.
I bought different stuff, the stuff I could get. I added frozen okra and cauliflower. I think I couldn't get the hominy, the sweet potatoes.

She was due for a change, anyhow.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:05 am

I hope it's different for you but none of my birds would touch okra.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:50 pm

Pajarita wrote:I hope it's different for you but none of my birds would touch okra.

I feed it fresh at the rescue all the time. I know some of the birds eat it, because some of them eat absolutely everything.

I know Nicky eats it okra, but His favorite is corn. He asks for corn all the time. And there is corn in the Hagen Tropi-mix that we give them in the afternoon. He always looks at it aNS says, "corn!"

Nicky wouldn't eat blueberries today, though. He's not a big fruit guy.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:37 am

:lol: I don't know of a single bird that doesn't love fresh corn! Even my little finches and the quails (both species been very picky eaters) go for it without hesitation.

My greys love juicy fruits like cantaloupe, watermelon, oranges, blackberries, etc -they juicier, the better.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet