Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Postby Navre » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:47 am

Yesterday I took ears of corn and sliced them. I gave wheels of corn, cob and all, to all the bigger birds. Some devoured it, and some didn't touch it. It wasn't by species, either. We have 4 DYH. 2 devoured it, 2 didn't touch it.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:00 am

Most likely they never learned to eat it, the poor things... I don't do 'wheels' anymore. I cut the corn on the cob into thick (about 2 inches) 'slices' and then cut them in half so there is a flat and a 'round' part (this way, the 'grains' are up).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:32 pm

I posted a recipe on the nutrition part of this site you can try. Careful feeding to many grapes , very high in sugar. Blueberries are better alternative . Dont give up ever on your bird eating healthy stuff , it make take months of offering good greens and healthy vegies to them with a lot of waste but they will get it eventually. I make trees out of bird safe washed branches and hang all kinds of vegies in it and they think it's great fun to tear it to shreds. Even if they aren't eating it there getting the taste in there mouth and eventually it will become familiar and they'll start to eat it. Make things fun colorful and interesting. Also your parrots always want what you have so get a healthy meal going and sit and eat with them ! Even if they don't like it if your eating it they will want it. We sit down every night and eat with our birds , everyone gets a bowl and sits on there stands or the tables or where ever they want and eats together. I made coffee table stands out of wooden T.V. trays with bird safe wooden around edges to make an edge all the way around them and they are great for everyone sittin around the familyroom and having a meal together. All the birds have a stand. BW Great time to watch bird videos together on U-Tube. LOL
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Navre » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:46 am

Navre wrote:
Pajarita wrote:I hope it's different for you but none of my birds would touch okra.

I feed it fresh at the rescue all the time. I know some of the birds eat it, because some of them eat absolutely everything.

I know Nicky eats it okra, but His favorite is corn. He asks for corn all the time. And there is corn in the Hagen Tropi-mix that we give them in the afternoon. He always looks at it aNS says, "corn!"

Nicky wouldn't eat blueberries today, though. He's not a big fruit guy.

Neither bird is eating much of this batch of gloop. The main difference is the okra, I think. I added that and cauliflower, but the Okra kind of permeates the whole thing, and gives the gloop a different smell.

I'm going to scrap this batch and make another. No Okra!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:01 am

Like I said, I tried okra (several times and in different ways) and none of my birds like it - and my birds are not picky at all! With the exception of Sunny SunConure and Peachy Lovie (which are still 'in training' :D ), they eat pretty much EVERYTHING I give them so, when all of them refuse something, I listen.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:19 pm

I would like to ask please, what are white or navy beans ? I am in England so I suspect we have a.different name for them. Any ideas please ?
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Navre » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:32 pm

alienlady wrote:I would like to ask please, what are white or navy beans ? I am in England so I suspect we have a.different name for them. Any ideas please ?

Lots of names.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_bean
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby alienlady » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:16 pm

Thankyou very much Navre.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:09 pm

As I'm making a giant batch of this stuff, I'm wondering if avicalm could be mixed right into it? I suspect that it needs to be kept fresh and added daily, since it's an amino acid.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:15 am

I only add supplements [and flavorings] in advance when I am going to be out -as in vacation or whatever- and somebody else is going to be feeding them. Normally, I add the supplements immediately before serving the gloop.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet