Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Postby Navre » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:23 am

Pajarita wrote:Yes, that will work but what about the days when you are not there? They won't get any food for hours and hours...

They’ll have pellets. I can only do what I can do.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:13 am

Well, pellets are better than going hungry...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:05 pm

I’m out of gloop, and apparently I’m out of the Kashi 7 whole grain pilaf. They don’t seem to make it anymore, either.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:21 am

I guess you are going to have to make it like I do: buying the stuff separately and cooking it together. But there are other whole grain mixes out there:

https://www.amazon.com/YANKEETRADERS-Wi ... +grain+mix

http://akechi.net/sukoyaka-8-rice-grain-mix-2lb/

https://nuts.com/cookingbaking/grains/m ... grain.html

https://shop.honeyville.com/9-grain-cracked-cereal.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:07 am

Thanks Paj. I ordered from Nuts.com. I think they donated nuts to us when we took in all those Fauna birds in '16.

In the mean time, they just got corn, peas, carrots, navy beans, and apples this morning.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:12 am

In a bind, you can always get steel cut oats, brown basmati rice, wild rice, whole wheat couscous and pearled barley from the supermarket. Just cook the barley and rices together, add the oats raw while this is still hot [the heat and moisture will soften and half cook the oats] and give the couscous a quick boil before mixing it in. Add veggies and VOILA! a very simple, very quick gloop that is good enough for a few days.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby GreenWing » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:48 pm

So, I'm thinking to go the gloop route, as I've been feeding a "mix" of seeds and vegetables/fruits for a while now... and while Chance does get whole grains and such, I think I want to go the gloop route.

Question - how often do you feed gloop a day, and how much of it? Do all parrots like it? From what I remember, Alex the African Grey ate gloop, no?

Thanks again for this recipe!
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:11 pm

No, poor Alex did not really get a good diet, he got pellets and pretty much nothing else... Poor bird had a terrible life! I feed them gloop for breakfast accompanied by raw produce but only the 'veteran' birds get both things together, the new or fairly new birds get the produce first and, about half an hour later, they get the gloop with fairly large portions because whatever they have left at the evening, I collect in a large stainless steel bowl and feed it to the pigeons/sparrows/starlings/morning doves that come in the morning for their own breakfast (my house is known in the neighborhood as 'the pigeon house' because they all perch on my roof to wait for it - and I am, of course, 'the bird lady' :lol: ). And, yes, they ALL love gloop! From the budgies to the cockatoo, they all go straight for it as soon as I put it down.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:46 am

I’ve started taking out the stuff that my birds just don’t eat. The green beans are never touched, so I just don’t include them any more. I’ve taken out the kale. I keep forgetting to add sesame seeds.

They get the mix of grains with the lentils included. I add the frozen vegetables the night before, and add fruit and navy beans in the morning. I’m making it as I go now, rather than making and freezing big batches.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:26 pm

I've also eliminated the green beans (I had already eliminated the wax beans a long time ago) and my last two batches have not had any beans but I am still using lentils. Don't worry about the sesame seeds because molt is over for now. Gloop is always a work in progress...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet